July-August 2021: Table of Contents
Best of HONOLULU
We asked our readers and searched the island for the best of everything—soufflé pancakes to hand sanitizer, book club to veggie burger, sherbet to surf gallery—all so you can live better in Honolulu.
- Best of Honolulu 2021: The Best Services on O‘ahu
- Best of Honolulu 2021: The Best Fitness and Outdoor on O‘ahu
- Best of Honolulu 2021: The Best of O‘ahu for Families
By Martha Cheng, Kainoa Deguilmo, Robbie Dingeman, Katie Kenny, Stacey Makiya, Mari Taketa, Katrina Valcourt, Don Wallace and Christi Young
Discover the ways educators prioritized student learning during the pandemic and what strategies they will continue to use to help students navigate future challenges. Plus, find tips for the application process and more information about the state’s private schools.
We had to ask the team behind Beyond Van Gogh: The Immersive Experience in Honolulu to share the technology and statistics behind the magic.
Summer’s still in session. Continue the season with an immersive art show, a music festival and a street art exhibition.
By Katie Kenny
Hawai‘i writers break the news about our watery fate 120 years from now, surfing’s corrupt soul and love in Wahiawā (yes, Wahiawā).
By Don Wallace
Sheldon Simeon, Top Chef fan favorite and chef/owner of Tin Roof, debuts a new cookbook, Cook Real Hawai‘i, that offers recipes from chicken hekka to prosciutto dust to Filipino okra salad.
By Martha Cheng and Stacey Makiya
From Our Files
For 133 years HONOLULU Magazine has kept its readers and advertisers at the vanguard of fashion, insight and fun. Starting out as Paradise of the Pacific in 1888 with a commission from King Kalākaua, we’re the oldest continually publishing magazine west of the Mississippi. Take a look into our archives.
- The History of Hawai‘i From Our Files: Cruise Ships Return After World War II
- The History of Hawai‘i From Our Files: The Birth of Hawai‘i Volcanoes National Park
- The History of Hawai‘i From Our Files: HONOLULU’s Third Annual Photography Contest
- The History of Hawai‘i From Our Files: 20 Years of J. Akuhead Pupule
- The History of Hawai‘i From Our Files: The Hawai‘i Islanders Baseball Team’s First Season
Gauging what’s hot and what’s not in Honolulu.
Venture into the outrageous and delightful world of modern boba, with butterscotch foam, crème brûlée topping, soursop, purple rice and so much more.
By Martha Cheng
Sometimes it takes almost a decade for an idea to bear fruit. And we think this one is one of the best.
It’s driving me mad.