June 2021: Table of Contents
After suddenly being forced to cancel in the early days of the pandemic, the renowned Merrie Monarch Festival returns to the stage this month in Hilo to the joy of both hālau and fans. But there are big changes to the cultural celebration, often known as the Olympics of Hula.
By Jayna Omaye
All-Island Restaurant Guide
Our annual guide celebrates Hawai‘i’s delicious dining options across the Islands. Find out our top cheap eats for less than $15, who’s offering cocktails to-go, the best deals you wouldn’t expect and what it was like for a local industry icon to close his signature restaurant.
- Cheap Eats Hawai‘i: The Best Food for 15 Dollars or Less for Your Dining-In or To-Go Pleasure
- Let’s Make a Deal: The Best Dining Discounts at Honolulu’s Favorite Restaurants
- Pour Party: 4 Drinks That Have Been Elevating Our Zoom Pau Hana Sessions
- Alan Wong Talks About the Difficult Decision to Close His Restaurant
Since 2009, Honoluluans have had front-row seats to the rebirth and redevelopment of Kaka‘ako, the city’s much-touted future urban hot spot. In those 12 years, two distinctive worlds have emerged and new plans for what will come may change our skyline and streets yet again.
By Lesa Griffith
We turned to Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. to provide us with a list of the Top Doctors in Hawai‘i. Here are 568 physicians in 63 specialties.
It’s never been open to the public, but now everyone can appreciate this new view of history.
By Christi Young and Aaron K. Yoshino
Food, mimosas and plants: This Mother’s Day (May 9), thank yo mama for taking your daily pandemic calls (even if you can’t see her). Plus celebrate May Day, Memorial Day and juicy hamburgers.
By Katie Kenny
Weaving together art, history and culture, two Native Hawaiian artisans use national awards to fuel their passion to teach.
Normally, we’re trying to get rid of fungus in the house. But here are three local mail-order mushroom kits to start growing at home—if not for their sculptural beauty, then for a delicious dinner.
By Martha Cheng
From Our Files
For 133 years HONOLULU Magazine has kept its readers and advertisers at the vanguard of fashion, insight and fun. Starting out as Paradise of the Pacific in 1888 with a commission from King Kalākaua, we’re the oldest continually publishing magazine west of the Mississippi. Take a look into our archives.
- The History of Hawai‘i From Our Files: Celebrating Two Kings on Kamehameha Day
- The History of Hawai‘i From Our Files: Bringing Pro Baseball to the Islands
- The History of Hawai‘i From Our Files: Tracking Vog’s Movements Across the Islands
- The History of Hawai‘i From Our Files: News Anchor Joe Moore is a Hit with HONOLULU Readers
Gauging what’s hot and what’s not in Honolulu.
Coming in hot this summer are chic sunnies, cool hats and smokin’ swimsuits.
- Sweet Summer Finds: Here’s What Our Fashion Editor is Wanting, Wearing and Wishing for this Season
- This Season’s Splashy Array of Sunglass Styles is Perfect for You and Your Peeps This Summer
- Kaua‘i-Born Cassandra Rull’s New Hawai‘i Swimwear Line Suits Her Current Life. Swimmingly
Never mind the CliffNotes. I want the full story, every time.
Crowds are back, and they’re going to take some getting used to.
Special Promotional Section
We are proud to celebrate the physicians whose outstanding contributions have earned them recognition as a Top Doctor every year for the past five years.
There are more than 8,000 physicians in Hawai‘i but only 568 were named top doctors by their peers. Learn more about some of those who earned the distinction.
These advertisers represent a full spectrum of local businesses and professionals dedicated to building a healthier, happier community.