December 2021 & January 2022: Table of Contents
How a self-effacing girl from Kaimukī surfed her way to Olympic gold and became a beacon for a state, a people and a legion of young empowered women, without losing herself in the game.
By Don Wallace
We worked with the research firm BL Rankings LLC, publishers of The Best Lawyers in America®, to bring our readers this list of the 423 top lawyers in the Islands.
These more than 200 organizations can help older adults learn, live and thrive in Hawai‘i.
Nisshodo Candy Store marks a major milestone this year: a century of making mochi by hand.
Stroll through rows of Christmas trees, laugh out loud in a (smaller) crowd, go crafting and start 2022 with an aria or two.
Just the fact that we’re gathering again is enough reason to celebrate. But, if you want to pump up the party atmosphere, some local companies will bring the fun (and gifts) to your yard.
Gauging what’s hot and what’s not in Honolulu.
View this post on Instagram
Black brandied cherries and warm winter spices. Eggnog goes eggless while mezcal entices. Three new boozy concoctions brimming with cheer can be found around town if you know where to peer.
By Maria Burke
From Our Files
For 133 years HONOLULU Magazine has kept its readers and advertisers at the vanguard of fashion, insight and fun. Starting out as Paradise of the Pacific in 1888 with a commission from King Kalākaua, we’re the oldest continually publishing magazine west of the Mississippi. Take a look into our archives.
- The Man Behind The Honolulu Marathon
- From Young-Kid Time, Bruno Mars Was Captivating Audiences and Hearts
- Time-Honored Churches That Still Stand Today
Christmas shopping can be (bah) humbug. Luckily, we found some of the coolest, chicest and most covetable gifts out there. Use these gift guides to shop for him, her and home items that are elf-ing amazing.
- The Best Gifts for the Home from Local Boutiques
- Designed and Made in Hawai‘i for Stylish Friends and Family Who Shop Local
- The Perfect Presents for All Day Workers and All Night Players
- The Best Gifts Under 50 Dollars
Whether your friends and family are naughty or love spice, you’ll find the right gift for everyone with great taste on your list.
- The Hot List for Your Spicy-Loving Friends
- The Best Subscription Boxes from Hawai‘i
- Sweet Treats to Give Your Sweetheart
- Stocking Stuffers for the Home
- The Best Farm Tours and Baking Classes on O‘ahu
- The Best Savory Sauces and Sets
By Maria Burke, Martha Cheng, Robbie Dingeman, Stacey Makiya, Thomas Obungen, Katrina Valcourt and Christi Young
Pulling together an all-local food gift guide was a challenge. Now it’s our gift to you.
I can never really escape the Islands. But that’s a good thing.
Special Promotional Section
Meet the team members of AARP Hawai‘i whose work isn’t just a job, it’s a passion. Plus, read about how AARP assisted with kūpuna vaccinations, get advice from caregivers and learn how to save for the future.