December 2020: Table of Contents
Two lives changed in 2015 as the Islands were in the middle of a Jaws-like panic over a 56% spike in attacks. Today, shark-attack victim Colin Cook and rescuer Keoni TeTawa Bowthorpe are living larger lives than they ever imagined.
By Don Wallace
2020 Hale ‘Aina Awards
This year, we talk to our Restaurateurs of the Year about the pandemic, dive into a new Spanish-Italian concept, pair a drink for every mood, provide tips for Korean barbecue and more.
- The Ultimate Hawai‘i Drinking Guide: What to Drink to Match Your Mood
- 2020 Hale ‘Aina Award Winners: Michelle Karr-Ueoka and Wade Ueoka of MW Restaurant Win Hawai‘i’s Restaurateurs of the Year
- 2020 Hale ‘Aina Award Winner: The Beginner’s Guide to Korean Barbecue
- 2020 Hale ‘Aina Award Winner: Rigo Named Best New Restaurant in Hawai‘i
- 2020 Hale ‘Aina Award Winners: Pai Honolulu Wins Bronze for Hawai‘i’s Best Tasting Menu
- 2020 Hale ‘Aina Award Winners: The Best Restaurants in Hawai‘i
We worked with the research firm BL Rankings LLC, publishers of The Best Lawyers in America©, to bring our readers this list of the 435 top lawyers in the Islands.
Kūpuna Resource Guide
These more than 200 organizations can help seniors learn, live and thrive in Hawai‘i.
Santa Claus came to town in more than two dozen pieces.
‘Tis the season to love the island we live on with the 40th anniversary of an international film festival, a Thanksgiving concert, sunflower gazing, tree planting, take a hike and more.
By Katie Kenny
New dorm-size dwellings provide rental housing close to jobs, bus lines and much of urban Honolulu.
Gauging what’s hot and what’s not in Honolulu.
Pono Provisions offers an exciting variety of local meats, including Big Island lamb and goat, plus pork cheeks, lard and guava-wood-smoked barbacoa.
By Martha Cheng
From Our Files
For 133 years HONOLULU Magazine has kept its readers and advertisers at the vanguard of fashion, insight and fun. Starting out as Paradise of the Pacific in 1888 with a commission from King Kalākaua, we’re the oldest continually publishing magazine west of the Mississippi. Take a look into our archives.
2020 Holiday Gift Guide
Our gift guide has ideas that spread joy and go easy on the wallet.
- 2020 Holiday Gift Guide: Presents From Hawai‘i Shops for Less Than $50
- 2020 Holiday Gift Guide: Personalized Presents
- 2020 Holiday Gift Guide: Happy Hobby-Days
- 2020 Holiday Gift Guide: 5 Last-Minute Local Gifts We’re Buying This Christmas
- 2020 Holiday Gift Guide: Joyful, Fun and Bright Presents
- 2020 Holiday Gift Guide: 5 Editor-Picked Gifts You Need Right Now
Gathering for dinner has never meant so much for us and our restaurants.
This god-awful year is coming to an end, but there’s some good we can bring with us into the new decade.