Your Weekend: The Best Family Fun in Hawai‘i for Feb. 24–March 2, 2022
Sing like a Hawaiian animal, get your hands dirty in a lush valley, watch Moana set sail, zip through the darkness 40 feet above ground, and celebrate Malassada Day.
Holoholo Nā Holoholona: Animals on the Go
Calling all keiki animal lovers! Come crawl, leap, jump, fly and sing with this interactive new theatrical adventure based on classic Hawaiian animal stories. Good news: There is no pressure to keep quiet at Honolulu Theatre for Youth performances. In fact, the more animal sounds coming from the audience, the better!
- Suggested for kids 5 years and older
- $20 for adults, $15 for seniors and military, $10 for kids
- 4 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 26 and 2 p.m. Sunday, March 6 at 2 p.m.
- Tenney Theatre, 229 Queen Emma Square, Downtown
- (808) 839-9885
- htyweb.org, @honolulutheatreforyouth
‘Ohana Volunteer Day
Get your hands dirty and breathe some fresh North Shore air during this workday geared towards families with young kiddos. Expect to be assigned to projects beautifying the botanical gardens or improving cultural sites. The best part? You’ll earn free admission to Waimea Valley, so you can swim in the waterfall or do a hands-on cultural activity like an ‘ukulele lesson after your work is done.
- Recommended for ages 12 and younger
- Free admission with RSVP to the volunteer day
- 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 26
- Waimea Valley, 59-864 Kamehameha Highway, Hale‘iwa
- (808) 638-5855
- waimeavalley.net, @waimeavalleyoahu
Disney’s Moana Jr.
Tickets to these shows at Kapolei High School are a hot commodity! Last we checked, pre-sale tickets are almost sold-out, but a limited number of general admission tickets can be purchased at the box office one hour before showtime. If you’re not already familiar, this heartwarming island tale brings the adventures of Moana and her village of Motunui to life on stage. Kids will love all the catchy songs from the film, and the 60-minute run to match their petite attention spans.
- All ages
- $15 for adults, $10 for children (2-18 years old), and free lap seating for infants under 2
- 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 26
- 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 27
- 7 p.m. Friday, March 4
- 7 p.m. Saturday, March 5
- 4 p.m. Sunday, March 6
- Performing Arts Center of Kapolei, 91-5007 Kapolei Parkway, Kapolei
- (808) 664-6161
- packapolei.org, @packapolei
See Crossing Rain Live
Everyone’s talking—screaming, maybe?—about Crossing Rain, a six-member local boy band with serious K- and J-pop vibes. Catch them live this weekend at the Blaisdell Concert Hall. Never heard of them? Check out their album, Dreams, on Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora and Amazon music.
- All ages
- 7 p.m., Feb. 26
- Blaisdell Concert Hall, 777 Ward Ave.
- Get tickets here
- crossingrain.com, @crossingrain
Looking for an over-the-top activity that will make your kid’s whole year? We found it: glow zipping with s’mores and a campfire. As if a zip line needed to be more exhilarating, you can ride the cables through Coral Crater Adventure Park in the dark and attempt 18 challenge elements, as well as the 50-foot freefall. Don’t worry—the walkways, platforms and towers will be lit, and in cool colors to boot.
- Ages 6 and up
- $169/person with a kama‘āina discount
- Offered 6 p.m. Saturdays and Tuesdays (time dependent on sunset)
- Coral Crater Adventure Park, 91-1780 Midway Road, Kapolei
- (808) 626-5773
- coralcrater.com, @coralcrater
Celebrate Fat Tuesday
In Hawai‘i, Mardi Gras means Malassada Day! This year, the indulgent holiday lands on Tuesday, March 1. If you’re a pro, you’ll be sure to pre-order your pastries for the big day. Check out Frolic’s 2021 list of the Best New Malassadas to plan your pick-up in advance. Happy Eating!