Celebrate Your Inner Child With Mark Kanemura at I Am a Rainbow ‘Ohana Event
The free, family-friendly event at HiSAM will feature activities and performances in the theme of Kanemura’s new illustrated children’s book.
During the pandemic, local dancer Mark Kanemura became a social media sensation with his dance parties that brought joy and positive energy to thousands of people around the world. Now, he is turning his efforts to inspiring MVPFAFF and LGBTQIA+ keiki through his new illustrated children’s book I Am a Rainbow!
On Saturday, June 24, the now Los Angeles-based Kanemura will return home for a special ‘ohana event of the same name at the Hawai‘i State Art Museum from 3 to 7 p.m. The free event is sponsored by the Hawai‘i Health and Harm Reduction Center and Hawai‘i LGBT Legacy Foundation, in partnership with Spill the Tea Café, Alaska Airlines, Kaimana Beach Hotel and Drag Queen Story Hour Hawai‘i.
The I Am a Rainbow ‘Ohana Event will feature art workshops, keiki art gallery, drag artists, drag story time, food vendors, a dance party and a book signing by Kanemura. Families can look forward to:
- Opening protocol and keiki activities by ‘Aha Pūnana Leo o Mānoa Hawaiian Medium Education Preschool
- Under the Blue in the Pod Exhibit featuring “Fairy Marcel” with energy/crystal healing and chair massages and “Queer Self-Care Tips” by Spill the Tea Café
- 2023 Young Artists of Hawai‘i Exhibit
- Interactive Affirmation Mural by Spill the Tea Café
- Rainbow Mo‘o Workshop by Elizabeth Gannaway, who will teach participants the story of Hi‘iaka and Mo‘o through hand puppet making
- A figure-drawing workshop led by Johnny Macas-Freire with a live, fashionably costumed model
- Queer-themed maniniGALLERY Pop-up Exhibit
- Book readings by Drag Story Hour Hawai‘i, a project of the Hawai‘i Health and Harm Reduction Center
- Performances by Marina Del Rey and the Next Gen cast, Mark Kanemura, and more
“I Am a Rainbow! is dedicated to anyone who has ever felt lonely or danced to the beat of their own drum!” Kanemura says about his book. “I hope that through this story, children and the inner child within all of us will feel seen, accepted, loved and celebrated!”
I Am a Rainbow ‘Ohana Event
Saturday, June 24, 3 to 7 p.m.