Your Weekend: The Best Family Fun in Hawai‘i for September 30–October 6, 2021
Wander through dinosaurs and asteroids, swim or paddle a 5K or reserve a space for a virtual unicorn cupcake-decorating class with a YouTube star.
Expedition Dinosaur: Rise of the Mammals
Bishop Museum is going back to the Cetaceous period this fall. Saturday, the newest exhibit will introduce kids to 10 animatronic dinosaurs—including an Edmontosaurus, Pachycephalosaurs and, of course, Tyrannosaurus Rex—one day before an asteroid hit earth, then they’ll learn about the impact it left on the planet and all that lived upon it. Keiki will be able to try out a fossil scanner, interact with an asteroid and more. Just remember that this exhibit will cost an extra $4.95 on top of your regular museum admission and, in accordance with county guidelines, adults will need to show their vaccine card or a valid COVID-19 test to enter.
- All ages
- General admission is $14.95 for kama‘āina adults, $10.95 for kids 4 to 17 years, kids 3 years and younger are free. The dinosaur exhibit requires an additional $4.95.
- Open daily, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Bishop Museum, 1525 Bernice St.
- (808) 847-3511
- bishopmuseum.org/dinosaurs, @bishopmuseum
View this post on Instagram
Hoot for Hui Fun Run
Hop on your scooters, bikes, tie on your shoes, go swimming or even paddle for this fundraiser for Family Hui Hawai‘i. The nonprofit provides programs and support for families in need including parenting tips, early education and support for working parents. Complete your 5K anywhere you want during the month of October. Every registered runner receives a face bib, finish line and swag bag.
- All ages
- $35 for adults, $25 for kids
- Oct. 1 through 30
Decorate Not-So-Creepy Cookies
The directions seem simple, but after my royal icing ended up with one batch so thick we couldn’t squeeze it out of the piping bag, and the other so watery that the phrase “flooding” the cookie took on a whole new literal meaning, I was thrilled to see A Cake Life’s Halloween cookie kits on sale. This year, owner Kristin Kato and her team are offering pumpkin-, mummy- and cauldron-shaped sugar cookies along with all the icing and sprinkles you need to make them extra adorable (or just to please your little one’s sweet tooth).
- All ages
- $38 for 12 sugar cookies with four icing colors and sprinkles, $11 for three cookies and decorations
- Available the entire month of October.
- Preorder through Instagram or, starting Friday, Oct. 1, through the online store.
- acakelife.com, @acakelife
Rainbow Drive-In’s 60th Anniversary Celebration
If you’re a fan of boneless chicken with gravy all over or any of the comforting plate lunches at this family-run business, this is the weekend to pick one up. Rainbow Drive-In will donate $1 from every plate lunch purchased through Saturday, Oct. 1 in school supplies or education materials to a school in every area where there is a restaurant: Kapahulu, Kalihi, Pearlridge Center, ‘Ewa Beach and Waipahu.
Sign Up: Fall Craft Camp
What are you doing for fall break? Housemart Ben Franklin is holding its Fall Keiki Craft Camp. Kids can go in-person or attend virtually to make five different fall-themed crafts. We spotted paper fall leaf banners, leaf impressions and a few animal-themed creations. The camp is the week of Oct. 11, but don’t wait because registration closes this Sunday, Oct. 3.
- Best for elementary school-age kids
- $60 for each kid, $50 for each additional camper. Virtual camp kits are $68 for one kid or $100 for a kit for two.
- Monday, Oct. 11 through Friday, Oct. 15. Sessions are 10 to 11 a.m.
- Ben Franklin locations in Enchanted Lake, Mapunapuna, Pearl City and Market City
Reserve: Keiki in the Kitchen, Decorate with Rosanna Pansino
There is nothing scary in the Hawai‘i Food & Wine Festival’s Halloween event for kids. Instead, YouTube baker Rosanna Pansino will host a livestream decorating class where kids can turn cupcakes into glittering unicorns and adorable narwhals. You can purchase a cupcake kit which includes all the decorations you need for 12 unicorn cupcakes, two silicon spatulas, Pansino’s The Nerdy Nummies Cookbook and a cupcake recipe with a shopping list. Or pick up your own supplies and buy a ticket just for the live class.
- All ages
- $50 for access to the event and the cupcake kit. $20 for just the online event.
- Sunday, Oct. 31, 1 to 2 p.m.