Wine Tasting at VINO Italian Tapas
Vino Italian Tapas has a nice lineup of wine tasting events this month and into May offering you an opportunity to taste and learn with master sommelier Chuck Furuya.
Photo: courtesy of VINO
Here’s a look at the themes of the events and the wines which will be tasted. All of the tastings are by reservation only, which can be made by calling 808-533-4476.
Visit VINO’s "This Week" page for tasting notes and additional stories about the tastings from Chuck Furuya.
Mount Eden Vineyard Wines with Jeff Patterson – April 14
One of the most breathtaking vineyard stops on a recent wine country trip for Furuya was the Mount Eden Vineyard high up in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
On Wednesday, April 14th at 6 p.m., Winemaker/owner Jeff Patterson will be visiting the restaurant to taste three of their estate grown wines. Furuya describes these wines as "real eye opening, soulful, “mountain grown”, tour de force, worldly wines."
- 2005 MOUNT EDEN Chardonnay “Estate”
- 2004 MOUNT EDEN Pinot Noir “Estate”
- 2004 MOUNT EDEN Cabernet Sauvignon “Estate”
The wines will be served two ounces each, and the tasting is available for $29 a person (not including tax or gratuity).
"Under the Tuscan Sun Wine Tasting" -April 22nd
On Thursday April 22nd at 6 p.m., VINO will feature a tasting looking at one of Italy’s indigenous grape varietals, sangiovese. When the Italian Government set up it’s ranking system for the highest quality wines, 3 of the six wines that achieved that level were from Tuscany and each were produced from sangiovese.
VINO will taste four Tuscan produced wines:
- 2001 MONSANTO Chianti Classico Riserva
- 2005 AVIGNONESI Vino Nobile di Montepulciano
- 2003 SIRO PACENTI Brunello di Montalcino
- 2000 FELSINA BERARDENGA Fontalloro
The wines served two ounces each at $39 a person (not including tax or gratuity).
Three Reds and a Big White – April 28th
On Wednesday, April 28th at 6 p.m., VINO is changing it up on conventional tastings which go white to red and will host a tasting of three high scoring, big, "black" red wines followed by one of their favorite, big white wines.
- 2007 CARLISLE Zinfandel “Papera Vineyard” – Rated 96 points by the Wine Spectator
- 2007 BOOKER “Alchemist” (79% Syrah, 19% Petit Verdot and 2% Cabernet Sauvignon) – Rated 96 points by Parker
- 2006 SAXUM “Broken Stones”(64% Syrah, 23% Grenache, 13% Mourvedre) – Rated 97 points by Parker
Then after all of those big "black" wines, an opportunity to cleanse the palate with a big, lush, oaky Chardonnay
- 2006 TANDEM Chardonnay “Ritchie Vineyard”
The reds are served two ounces each, and the white is a five ounce pour for $35 a person (not including tax or gratuity).
“Rhone Valley Wine Tasting” – May 6th
On Thursday, May 6th at 6 p.m., VINO will host a tasting of wines produced in 2007 in France’s southern Rhone Valley. 2007 was a monumental vintage producing wines with a "resounding fruit & structure, power, drama & soulful-ness."
Four of VINO’s favorites from that vintage and region will be showcased.
- 2007 DOMAINE GALLETY “Cotes de Vivarais”
- 2007 DOMAINE DU JONCIER Lirac “Les Muses”
- 2007 DOMAINE SANG DES CAILLOUX Vacqueyras
- 2007 VIEUX TELEGRAPHE Chateauneuf-du-Pape “La Crau”
Wines served two ounces each for $39 a person (not including tax or gratuity).
“Pinot Noir Wine Tasting” – May 13th
Since 2007 was also good vintage for California Pinot Noir, on Thursday May 13th at 6 p.m., VINO will taste four "of the most ballyhoo-ed, ‘hard to get’ stars of the vintage."
- 2007 ANTHILL FARMS “Demuth Vineyard”
- 2007 PAUL LATO “Gold Coast Vineyard”
- 2007 WH SMITH “Maritime Ridge”
- 2007 KOSTA BROWNE “Koplen Vineyard”
Four wines, two ounces each for $45 a person (not including tax or gratuity).
For reservations, call 808-533-4476 or e-mail Nicole at email@example.com