The Top 18 Biting Commentary Dining Articles of 2018: Readers’ Choice
Openings, closings, mini bakers, a North Shore shrimp truck showdown and quite a few dim sum spots: Here are your most-read Biting Commentary blogs of 2018.
1. 7 New Honolulu Happy Hours You Need To Try Now
Take your pau hana to the next level at one of these seven restaurants.
2. Who Needs In-N-Out When We Have Chubbies?
Chubbies Burgers serves simple, quality old-school burgers and fries near the old Sports Authority.
3. Two More Beloved Restaurants—Wailana Coffee House and Mocha Java—Close For Good
No more all-you-can-eat pancakes at 2 a.m. in Waikīkī or casual cofficing at Ward anymore.
4. Honolulu Bakers Launch Campaign To Save Agnes’ Malassadas
Kawehi Haug and Kim Potter of Let Them Eat Cupcakes are crowdfunding to bring back the beloved Kailua bakery.
5. What’s New, What’s Closed and What’s Moving in Honolulu
Sweet Creams expands, Saint-Germain says aloha and Sunny Side rebrands.
6. First Look: Panda Dimsum in Kalihi
Frogs, hedgehogs and bees, oh my! This spot dishes up cute, Instagrammable dumplings.
7. Kailua’s Taylor Inouye Makes the Finale in “Kids Baking Championship”
Mini guava bundt cakes and banana sugar cookies took this eighth grader to the final show.
8. The Secret Japanese Restaurant You Can’t Go To
You need to be invited to dine at Toridokoro Matsumoto, a hidden restaurant that specializes in yakitori.
9. First Look: Goen Dining + Bar in Kailua
Chef Roy Yamaguchi launches new concept restaurant with casual, stylish Pan-Asian food, comforting noodle dishes and creative cocktails.
10. First Look: The Brilliant Ox at Ala Moana Center
This new gastropub mixes pub fare with local flavors. And no, there’s no ox on the menu.
11. These New Poi Packs Make It Easier to Fuel Up on Poi
A local athlete and mom creates a poi package for on-the-go eating.
12. Nalo Farms Needs Your Help
The Waimānalo farm, which suffered serious crop damage after this weekend’s storm, started a GoFundMe campaign to stay in business.
13. First Look: Pac-Store Hawai‘i, a Pac-Man-Themed Restaurant at Bread & Butter
This Pac-Man pop-up restaurant will transport you back in time to the 1980s.
14. First Look: Yum Cha Hawai‘i
Enjoy authentic dim sum outside Chinatown at Yum Cha on Kapi‘olani Boulevard.
15. Best Kahuku Shrimp Truck: Giovanni’s, Romy’s, Fumi’s?
Which of the Kahuku shrimp trucks is the best?
16. Rainbow Drive-In Brings Its Loco Moco and Chili to Kalihi
The iconic Kapahulu drive-in opens its first of four franchise locations this month.
17. Two Former Senia Cooks Open New Chinese-Inspired Restaurant in Kaimukī
Three words: adobo fried chicken.
18. Two New Restaurants by Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto Opening in Waikīkī Soon
Morimoto Asia Waikīkī opened in February, with Momosan Waikīkī.
And one more for the road
How to Eat Xiao Long Bao and Other Tips for Enjoying Soup Dumplings in Honolulu
It’s loved by many but a daunting task for dumpling freshmen.
READ MORE BITING COMMENTARY BLOGS