The great food debate
I was having dinner at Mr. Ojisan on Kapahulu Avenue — one of my favorite Japanese restaurants, by the way — and faced a dilemma:
Should I order the chicken katsu or the tonkatsu?
It was a legitimate discussion in my head. On the one hand, the chicken version is juicy and flavorful. But tonkatsu done right is pretty hard to beat.
So I ordered both.
But it got me thinking about the choices we make when it comes to food — and what we would ultimately choose if we had to pay for it.
So here’s what I’m going to do. I’m going to pair up some foodie choices and let’s see which ones come out on top.
Here’s the list. Respond with your picks!
• Chicken katsu or pork katsu
• Malassadas from Leonard’s Bakery malassadas or Champion Malasadas
• Chunky or creamy peanut butter
• Aloha or Kikkoman shoyu
• Best Foods mayonnaise or Miracle Whip
• Thick crust or thin crust for your pizza
• Spring rolls or summer rolls
• The edges or the inside pieces of brownies
• Heinekin or Primo
• Milk chocolate or dark chocolate
• Saimin or ramen (read Mari Taketa’s post about this)
• Red curry or yellow curry
• Shiromiso (white miso) or akamiso (red miso)
• Ketchup or mustard on hot dogs
• Spaghetti or angel hair pasta
• Chocolate or vanilla ice cream
• Red or white sauce on pizza
• Sweet potatoes or yams
• Hot custard pie or cold custard pie
I’m sure there are way more choices — but let’s stick with this list for now. Part 2 could be coming soon!
To read all of Cat’s blogs, visit www.nonstophonolulu.com/thedailydish. Follow Cat on Twitter @thedailydish or send her an e-mail at email@example.com.
Subscribe to Nonstop Honolulu on YouTube »
RECENT BLOG POSTS
FUUD: Gulick Delicatessen on King Street
Should Grandma still be driving?
Cat Chat episode 2: Black Friday strategies
‘Hawaii Five-0’ vs. ‘Magnum, P.I.’
‘Spiritual’ lessons we’ve learned
FUUD: Pablo’s Cantina in Ward Centre
Introducing Cat Chat
ASK DR. DISH: Male shorage
TOP BLOG POSTS
New eats: Zaratez Mexicatessen
Introducing Cat Chat
Top 10 best memories of Europe
Top 10 first dates
36 hours of eating in Maui
North Shore Eats