Season’s Eatings: Strata Recipe
Assemble this egg casserole on Christmas Eve, then bake the next day for a tasty, easy brunch.
“Getting ready for Santa is usually a late-night affair in our house. So when my sister-in-law brought this delish make-ahead dish to our Christmas morning breakfast, I had to have the recipe. The fact that we can slide vegetables into an a.m. meal is a bonus!”
—Christi Young, editorial director, HONOLULU and HONOLULU Family magazines
- Olive oil for sautéing
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 whole wheat baguette, cubed
- 8 eggs plus 8 egg whites
- 2 cups low-fat or skim milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 10 ounces steamed or thawed frozen broccoli
- (or vegetable of your choice)
- ⅓ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grape tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
SEE ALSO: 🥞 Keiki in the Kitchen: 3 Breakfast Recipes from Cafe Kaila
- Sauté onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook another minute. Transfer to a bowl to cool.
- Heat olive oil and sauté mushrooms until they release their water, about 6 to 7 minutes. Cool.
- Grease an oval baking dish with olive oil or butter. Arrange bread cubes on the bottom.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and egg whites, then mix in milk and mustard.
- Add all vegetables, cheeses, Italian seasoning, garlic salt and pepper.
- Pour mixture over bread, saturating it.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover strata and bake for 55 minutes to an hour until lightly browned.
Adapted from Ellie Krieger/Food Network.