June 2013: Where to take Dad for Father's Day in Honolulu
Sorry, Dad, that you don't get as much love from restaurants on Father's Day as Mom does on Mother's Day. Maybe because they know you'd rather be at the grill than sitting in a restaurant (unless you're like my dad, then you might want to be at Vintage Cave, seeing if it's worth the fuss). Here, though, are a handful of Father's Day specials for dads who want to go out.
- For the Saturday before Father's Day, 12th Ave Grill will feature Shinsato Farms rabbit. Yup, rabbit, not the pork Shinsato is now famous island-wide for (think of it as the new, mini, white meat). The farm is currently ramping up production, and 12th Ave Grill has already reserved some for Father's Day specials. To drink: a Hamhatten, a version of the classic Manhattan with bacon-infused rye whiskey, or Sierra Nevada's collaboration brew with Ovila Abbey Ales, a Belgian-style Abbey Saison with mandarin oranges and peppercorns.
- At The Counter, hook Dad up with a free burger. On Father's Day, you just gotta tell your server, "My dad is a BFD," (aka a big ****ing deal), then Dad gets to assemble a 1/3 lb custom burger.
- dk Steak House offers a four-course prix fixe offered Saturday June 15 and June 16. If Dad is feeling especially meat-hungry (it is a steakhouse, after all), he might want the baby-back ribs appetizer, ham hock portuguese bean soup and prime rib, finished off with a chocolate cake and mint chocolate chip ice cream.
- House without a Key's outdoor barbecue menu will be available on Father's Day (and every Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday until July 4), featuring around-the-world seasonings in the bourbon-glazed baby-back ribs, a South African beef and pork sausage, Indonesian pork chop and achiote-marinated fish.
House without a Key does not accept reservations
- There are two options at The Kahala: Hoku's Sunday brunch ($75 adults/$37.50 children) offers chilled lobster, oysters and shrimp, sushi and sashimi, butter-poached king crab legs, prime rib and New Zealand rack of lamb. Don't forget Hoku's eggs benedict with cheddar cheese biscuits and smoked salmon. At Plumeria Beach House, ($75 adult/$32.50 children), treat dad to either a brunch or dinner buffet. Brunch includes a seafood table, roast beef carved to order and an omelet station. Dinner features prime rib, herb-crusted lamb, and a dessert table with chocolate cream puffs, lilikoi fruit parfait and pistachio pear tarts.
739-8760 or email@example.com
- Little Village assembles some of its favorite dishes for a Father's Day menu—nine dishes to serve four ($110) or 10 ($239), including a crispy jalapeno-pepper-fried oyster, sizzling black-pepper rib-eye steak, salt and pepper prawn, and roast duck.
- At Sansei, Father's Day a la carte specials include kurobuta sausage corn dogs, Korean fried chicken wings, a seared kampachi carpaccio and smoked hamachi pastrami, served with shiso creme fraiche, daikon kraut and rye chips.