Gift Guide for Families: Cool Classes for Keiki in Honolulu
Amp up the fun by gifting active experiences for kids this holiday season
After months of virtual school, classes and meetings, we’re thrilled to see the debut of several unique in-person classes geared for kids on O‘ahu. Just in time for last-minute stocking stuffers, check out our roundup of five totally rad extracurricular activities. Then pick out a few gift certificates for adventure for 2022.
If you have keiki who love music, fiddling and pressing buttons, this is the class for you. Aspiring scratchers can learn the ropes on turntables and mixers in one-on-one private lessons taught by seasoned DJ, Kyle Dung. The after-school classes are discounted for students and gift certificates are available.
- $35 for a one-hour lesson.
- Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays between 3:30 and 6:30 p.m.
- Hawai‘i DJ School, 95-720 Lanikuhana Ave., 2nd Floor, Suite 250, Mililani.
- hawaiidjschool.com, @hawaiidjschool
Have wannabe skater boys or girls on your hands? Sign them up for the real deal at Hawai‘i’s only indoor skatepark and training facility. They can tackle the hubbas, grind the rails, and land softly on the Bagjump air bag (like an inflatable blob). Start with the prerequisite Skate 101 class and then move on to more advanced clinics, camps or private lessons.
- 6 years and older.
- $65 for the one-hour Skate 101 class.
- Proper Rideshop, 501 Kokea St., Suite A6.
- (808) 373-3303
- properrideshop.com, @properrideshop
Stand-Up Paddle Yoga
Test your keiki’s balance on a SUP board in the shallow, calm waters of “Walls” in Waikīkī. Classes for keiki start on the beach with a warmup, introduction to SUP and water safety briefing. Then it’s time to paddle out for themed yoga moves and SUP games. Heads-up: Spring Break Camp is also available!
- 5 years and older. Must know how to swim.
- $32 per 75-minute class with kama‘āina discount.
- Moana Adventure Class (ages 5-8): Sunday at 8 a.m.
- Mermaid Sea Splash Class (ages 9-12): Sunday at 9:30 a.m.
- Island Paddle Bliss classes are at Kūhiō Beach Park in Waikīkī.
- (480) 206-0219
- islandpaddlebliss.com, @islandpaddlebliss
SEE ALSO: Hawai‘i Family-Friendly Hike: Judd Trail
Do your kids love to balance on the sidewalk curb, vault over park benches, and jump on railings? Well then, they already have a head start in the sport of parkour. Described as the art of movement, parkour builds strength, balance and creativity. We love that Coach Ronald offers birthday party packages and gift cards, too!
- $20 per one-hour class.
- Ages 5-7: Tuesday and Friday at 3:15 p.m.
- Ages 8-12: Tuesday and Friday at 4:30 p.m.
- Set In Motion classes are at Ala Moana Beach Park.
- (808) 320-4224
- setinmotion.xyz, @setinmotion.xyz
Embrace your child’s own personal dance style, whether it is break-dancing, popping and locking, or interpretive dance. The instructor, Mr. Ian, will teach basic dance dynamics and help keiki dissect and master moving and grooving to their favorite songs in a group setting. Not a Kroc Center member? No worries because classes are open to the public.
- Ages 6 years and older.
- $60 per month, four one-hour classes.
- Thursdays from 6 to 7 p.m. starting Jan. 6, 2022.
- Kroc Center Hawai‘i, 91-3257 Kualaka‘i Parkway, ‘Ewa Beach.
- (808) 682-5505
- kroccenterhawaii.org, @kroccenterhi