Coming Sept. 12-13: Frolic’s Night In Virtual Takeout and Chill Events
Butcher & Bird, Village Bottle Shop, Colin Hazama and Sake Shop headline two takeout dinners this Saturday and Sunday.
f there’s one thing we know, we are desperately missing hanging out with friends over delicious grinds. Human interaction is crucial to our well-being and OMG, where’s my beer?
So when Tim Golden of Village Bottle Shop and Chuck Wakeman of Butcher & Bird hit us up with a fantastic idea for a virtual dinner party, we jumped. The goal: Support local restaurants and beverage shops with an interactive takeout dinner that’s casual, delicious and accessible to Frolic readers. Within days, Frolic’s Night In came together.
Here’s how it works. Chefs create new, exclusive multi-course takeout menus just for Frolic’s Night In. Drink professionals expertly pair them with beverages. You’ll order online and pick up your meal-and-drink packages the afternoon of the Zoom event. At dinnertime we’ll connect on Zoom and as you eat and sip at the comfort of your own table, I’ll host the event with the chefs and drink experts. These will be live events with lots of droolworthy moments and insider info, so feel free to join in with questions and comments as you indulge and watch.
Frolic’s Night In launches Sept. 12 and 13 with not one, but two super exclusive meals featuring outstanding chefs and beverages.
Sept. 12: Frolic’s Night In with Butcher & Bird and Village Bottle Shop
Golden and Wakeman kick off the series on Sat., Sept. 12 with a three-course butcher’s treat and an Oktoberfest-inspired German beer pairing for each course.
- First: Pickled root vegetables paired with the rare Schonramer Gold, a beer not normally found at Village
- Second: Wakeman’s pork rillette with a tartly sweet quince mostarda, paired with the Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen
- Main: Savory roast coppa, one of the rarest cuts from a hog, is lavished with brown butter vinaigrette and crispy kale. Comes with a side of squash hash with pancetta, roasted garlic, onion and cranberry. Beer pairing is the Aventinus weizen-doppelbock ale, which transitions easily into dessert
- Dessert: Chocolate chip cookie with Whistle Pig Bourbon caramel
Cost is $55 and includes all courses, pairings and unique access code to our Zoom event. You’ll receive an email the day of your event with the Zoom access code and pickup instructions at Village Bottle Shop in Kakaako.
Sept. 13: Frolic’s Night In with C4 Table by Colin Hazama and Sake Shop
For Sun., Sept. 13, we’re going haute with three courses from Colin Hazama paired with a fabulous honjozo sake from Nadine Leong at The Sake Shop in Kakaako.
- Appetizer: Dragon Tea-smoked ahi pastrami served with Maui onion fennelkraut, caramelized figs, crispy prosciutto, Sumida Farms watercress and black garlic sesame emulsion
- Entree: Slow-cooked Hawaiian kampachi garnished with three-caviar relish, vanilla heart of palm purée, Ho Farms tomato raisins and lemon marjoram coulis
- Sake pairing for appetizer and entree: Hakushika Yamadanishiki honjozo (300-ml bottle), selected by Sake Shop’s Leong and Eli Nygren of Young’s Market
- Dessert: Coconut bamboo panna cotta with shiso, lilikoi syrup, surinam cherry jam and kinako rice crispy crunch
Cost is $55 and includes all courses, pairing and unique access code to our Zoom call. You’ll receive an email the day of your event with the Zoom access code and pickup instructions at Village Bottle Shop in Kakaako.
Leong and Nygren have selected two additional optional sake pairings available for purchase at The Sake Shop by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a confirmation when your pre-order is received.
- Appetizer: Eiko Fuji Ban Ryu honjozo (300 ml), event price: $12.50
- Dessert: Hakushika “Fresh & Light” namacho (300 ml), event price: $9.50
Capacity is very limited for both events so reserve early!
Here’s how it works:
- Purchase your ticket(s) online by clicking the event’s link
- We’ll send you pickup instructions, which are basically as below
- Pickup times will be from 3 to 4:30 p.m. on event day at Village Bottle Shop, 675 Auahi St. in the Salt complex
- Confirmed guests will receive a personalized Zoom link to join the room at 5 p.m. on your event day. On the day of the event, pick up your meal, get comfortable and use your personalized Zoom link to join the live hangout.
- Join us on Zoom, enjoy your exclusive dishes and drink pairings and jump in with questions and comments live via chat as we chill for a fun night in