CIY video: Sunny side Spam musubi
Frolic’s CIY (Cook It Yourself) videos are for those times when eating out is not an option. They’re quick-ish how-tos for dishes that make staying in fun, ranging from pretty simple to d’oh, why didn’t I think of that?
Fact: We love Spam musubi. Fact check: Spam musubi can get boring sometimes.
We all know the feeling. You stop for gas, realize you’re hungry, grab a warm bundle of goodness from the heat rack. After the millionth time you’ve done this, it hits you: You’re in a Spam musubi rut.
It doesn’t take much to spice up your Spam musubi life. The answer, in fact, came to us in a vision of golden yolk-y glory — and like all Frolic’s CIY recipes, it’s simple, fun, local and onolicious. Behold: the Sunny Side Spam Musubi.
Sunny Side Spam Musubi
What you’ll need:
1 can Spam cut into 8-10 slices
3 cups cooked rice
1 small package nori sheets
1 Tbsp cooking oil
Spam musubi mold
What to do:
1. Cook rice. Be sure to salt the rice after cooking to give it some flavor.
2. Cut Spam into 8-10 uniform slices — and don’t throw away the Spam can!
3. Fry Spam to your liking. Some like a little shoyu and sugar to take off the salty edge; I like mine plain.
4. Add a tablespoon of cooking oil to your pan and cook your eggs sunny side up.
5. Use empty Spam can and cut around the edges of the egg whites to form uniform pieces.
6. Use your musubi maker and assemble.
Missed the first CIY video? Watch how to make cheesy kalbi kimchee dip.