Cicerone Chat: Beer Festival, Pairings and Events with Bill Carl
Bill Carl is a Certified Cicerone, the beer equivalent of a master sommelier. (Though it doesn’t quite have the historical heft—the Cicerone Certification Program was started in 2007, while the Court of Master Sommeliers was established three decades before that.) He’s one of only two on Oahu.
We chatted with Carl for his current favorite beer and food pairings, and some tips for this week’s upcoming beer festival:
Favorite latest beer and food pairings?
“I did a beer and burger pairing with Pint and Jigger’s stout burger, paired with a Deschutes Black Butte Porter. When you do burgers, especially on the grill, they have a nice char. For a darker beer, the grain has been roasted more, so the flavors can really match up with the burger. Nothing against wines, but they can’t really do that.”
For a really porky, rich ramen, like Lucky Belly’s Belly Bowl, with pork belly, bacon and sausage, Carl recommends a rauchbier from the beer list. “Rauchbier in Germany means ’smoked beer,’ and the grain is roasted over beech wood, so it takes on a really smoky flavor. It’s a wheat beer; wheat adds a really nice kind of softness on the mouthfeel.”
What he’s excited to drink at the upcoming Real Beer Festival:
- Breakside Passionfruit Sour: “a low-alcohol wheat beer brewed with lilikoi. The use of lactic acid gives the beer a pleasing acidity similar to a lilikoi-ade.”
- Christian Drouin Poire: “It’s going to be hot out there, so a Perry is going to hit the spot! This is a very traditional Perry from Normandy, France, fermented with wild yeast for a dry, complex, thirst-quenching finish.”
- Thornbridge Halcyon: “You have to try an IPA when at a beer fest. This English-style, American-inspired Double IPA is full of hops but not so heavy, and perfect for outdoors.”
- Beers from San Diego’s Hess brewery and Karl Strauss: “I always want to try something that’s not available locally.”
Real Beer Festival will be pouring more than 60 craft beers, with food from Duke’s, Pint and Jigger, Poke Stop and more. $60, August 16, Find the full line up of beers at facebook.com/RealBeerFestival2013. Buy tickets here.
Upcoming beer events with Bill Carl:
- Meet the Experts at Bar 35, tonight: Every second Tuesday, Bar35 explores beers with “the pros.” This week, it’s IPAs.
5 to 7 p.m., drop-ins welcome
- Beer Versus Wine dinner at Lucky Belly, August 13: For each course, Carl and a sommelier will choose a beer and wine, respectively, and “duke it out for who has a better pairing,” he says.
$60/person, at the time of this writing, only 5:30 p.m. seatings were left, 531-1888
- End of Summer Beer dinner at 12th Ave Grill, August 18: Five courses and nine different beers from breweries including Dogfish Head, Clown Shoes and Big Island Brewhaus.
$80/person, 6:30 p.m., 12thavegrillendofsummerbeerdinner.eventbrite.com