Thursday, March 24 – A 2-Week Blur

Another care package for Yasue and this one was delivered right to her door.

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that today marks two weeks since the quake, tsunami and the threat of a nuclear meltdown all converged on Sendai. These past 14 days have been a blur. No matter how hard I try, I cannot distinguish individual days. Most of my conversations about the quake begin with “On one day since the quake . . .” I suppose this is to be expected. It’s not often you get to wrap three major disasters into such a short time. What’s next, locusts?

It will take years for Japan to fully recover from the enormous damage, especially along its northeast coast. Yet somehow, I feel Yasue has already made tremendous progress in our small corner of this disaster. Yesterday was another day of progress.

Text from Yasue, 4:40 p.m.: My friend Noriko sent me a box full of stuff. I was supposed to get it at the branch office (of the delivery service), but, they delivered it to my house. I’m so lucky!!

So, we now have the luxury of home delivery. Yasue will not have to walk 20 or 30 minutes each way, carrying a heavy box on her return home.

The coastline of Shizugawa in 2009

There was more progress yesterday as well and this one was far more meaningful.

Text from Yasue, 9:22 p.m.: Ian and Scott, I checked the Web site of Shizugawa Fish Park and all their staff survived!!!! However the fish park was completely washed away. The president of the fish park stated that they will try to rebuild the town of Minami Nariku-cho!

On one day since the quake, Ian wrote in this blog about his memories fishing with his grandfather at Shizugawa. Last night after reading the message from his mom, he was relieved to hear the people he had met numerous times were still alive. This beautiful coastal town was one of the hardest hit by the tsunami and was completely wiped out. Rebuilding it will not be easy but I have no doubt the Japanese people will succeed. Look at all the progress they have made in only two weeks.