The Blue Tomato Book Signing
Eleven years after publishing his much-acclaimed first cookbook, Alan Wong’s New Wave Luau, Hawai‘i’s master chef has new stories to tell and fresh recipes to share.
The Blue tomato is available for purchase now from bookshawaii.net or from Alan Wong’s Honolulu.
The Blue Tomato: The Inspirations Behind the Cuisine of Alan Wong features 70 memorable dishes representing the best of Chef Alan, his innovative menus and the creative chefs and staff members who make up the next generation of the Alan Wong’s Restaurants family.
With stunning food photography and more than 200 individual recipes, The Blue Tomato reveals a glimpse into the inner workings of his restaurants and philosophies. In the book you’ll find updates of time-proven favorites, inventive new ideas and contemporary twists on the multi-ethnic dishes of Hawai‘i.
More than just a cookbook, The Blue Tomato is a testament to Alan Wong’s conviction that anything is possible in today’s world—with the right mix of creativity, persistence and innovative thinking. This 284-page book is a personal journey with Chef Alan, featuring some of his own photography, travel anecdotes and the sources of his inspiration. It is an indispensable guide for the home cook and, at the same time, a remarkable resource for the serious cook or professional seeking the how and why of Chef Alan’s culinary techniques and creative process.
Discover the inspiration behind the book in this special trailer for The Blue Tomato:
Chef Alan has three special appearances before the holidays to sign books if you’re looking for a personalized gift for that special foodie in your life:
- Friday, December 3, 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at Watermark Publishing’s Downtown Book Fair on the Cades Schutte Building lanai (1000 Bishop St., corner of Bishop and King streets)
- Saturday, December 11, 7:30 a.m. – 11 a.m., Demonstration on sauces and Book Signing at the KCC Farmers’ Market (in the Kuahiwi Ranch tent; demo at 8 a.m.; signing to follow)
- Sunday, December 12, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. at Alan Wong’s Holiday Market event at his King Street restaurant (continue to the next page for more details)
Additional information on these events and how to purchase The Blue Tomato in person or online is available at the book’s website, thebluetomato.net.
Alan Wong’s Honolulu will host a very special Holiday Market at their McCully Court building at 1857 S. King St., Third Floor.
The event will take place on Sunday, December 12th from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. and offers a number of unique gift ideas and special goodies to add to your holiday gift baskets.
Gift ideas available only at Alan Wong’s Restaurant, include:
- Alan Wong’s Li Hing Mui Vinaigrette
- Stocking Stuffers from Pastry Chef Michelle Karr
- and of course Gift Certificates to the restaurant
Local farmers who work with the restaurant will also join in the celebration. They include:
- Derek Lanter, Waialua Coffee & Chocolate
- Naked Cow Dairy
- Hawaiian Honey Bee Co-Op
- MA’O Farms
- Kulanui by the University of Hawaii
Neighbors at McCully Court, Hikari Shiatsu and Honolulu Pen Shop will also offer some gifts for purchase.
The event is also the last opportunity for Chef Alan Wong to personally autograph your copy of the first edition of The Blue Tomato before it hits the bookstores!
Purchase the book by itself or in a package offered that day:
- $40: Cookbook only
- $45: Cookbook + Li Hing Mui Vinaigrette Dressing
- $55: Cookbook + Dressing + Tasting of 2 dishes from The Blue Tomato
(Tax not included; Tasting dishes are also available a la carte at the event)
Valet parking is available for $3 or you can find street parking around the area.
For questions or more information, call 808-949-2526 or visit www.alanwongs.com.