The Blockbuster Musical Hamilton Heads to Honolulu in 2022
The new season of Broadway in Hawai‘i will feature three shows new to the Islands. Here are five things to know if you are thinking of buying season tickets.
Honolulu musical theater buffs can feel free to burst into song this week after learning that the latest edition of Broadway in Hawai‘i will include the Hawai‘i debut of the much-anticipated Hamilton in December 2022 through January 2023. The touring company of the revolutionary musical written and first sung and rapped by Lin-Manuel Miranda headlines a new season at the Blaisdell Concert Hall.
The season also features the Hawai‘i debut of Beautiful—The Carole King Musical. And the three-show package includes the return of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Cats, which has proven to have as many lives as its namesakes are credited with, after debuting in 1982. Magicspace Entertainment executive Bruce Granath praised Honolulu audiences, city officials, concert hall staffers, the stagehands union and Mayor Rick Blangiardi for making the new season a reality at an announcement held at Stage Restaurant on Thursday, Dec. 2.
SEE ALSO: This is How Honolulu’s Resilient Arts Organizations are Performing Through the Pandemic
Season tickets for the three shows start at $181, which are for weekday performances, and are on sale now at broadwayinhawaii.com. Those who purchase season tickets will be among the first given access to individual tickets for each show and any added performances. And the revamped schedule also includes the option of getting tickets to the rescheduled engagement of Jersey Boys when purchasing season tickets, Granath says. Those who already purchased Jersey Boys don’t need to buy them again, he added, for the performances now scheduled for September 2022.
The previous success of shows that included Wicked and The Phantom of the Opera has earned Honolulu a place as a regular stop for touring Broadway shows, both Blangiardi and Granath emphasized.
SEE ALSO: Proposed 2021 Shutdown of the Blaisdell Center Delayed
Blangiardi says he’s seen all four of the musicals and will happily see them all again, this time without having to spend time and money to leave the state.
The 2022-2023 Broadway in Hawai‘i season includes:
- April 19–24, 2022: Beautiful—The Carole King Musical with the story of King’s remarkable rise to stardom, from hit songwriter through becoming one of the most successful solo acts in popular music history.
- Dec. 15, 2022–Jan. 29, 2023: Hamilton (Dec. 8–14 performances are for season ticket holders only) Hamilton’s take on the life of American founding father Alexander Hamilton blends hip-hop, jazz, R&B and Broadway and has won multiple awards and praise for its fresh and diverse approach.
- June 13–18, 2023: The return of Cats promises new sound design, direction and choreography for the musical based on the poems of T.S. Eliot.
The season includes one added engagement that was postponed from a May 2020 performance due to the pandemic.
- Sept. 13-25, 2022: Jersey Boys is the smash-hit musical based on the story of singer Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons and how the four friends survived various ups and downs.
We went through the process of purchasing season tickets. Here is how it works.
- Season ticket holders will lock in their dates and seats upon purchase. Options are for evening performances Tuesday through Sunday, and matinees on Saturday and Sunday. Last we checked on Friday, Dec. 3, the performances with the most availability were Wednesday evenings. Saturday night had the least number of seats left.
- We found several of the cheapest seats were still open on every night. The back rows of the balcony are $180 for weeknight and $190 for weekend shows.
- Keep in mind, each user is limited to purchasing nine season tickets.
- When choosing your seats, be aware that you cannot leave just a single seat available in any row. So, for example, if you are going with a group of seven and there are eight seats left in a single row, you will not be allowed to buy just seven of them.
- Season ticket holders will be allowed to buy additional tickets before public sales open.