Summer Slipper Project
This craft project is a great way to transform flip flops into stylish and personalized footwear that's perfect for the summer.
Warm, summer days … hot, bare feet? Gotta wear those comfortable “rubba slippas!” This craft project is a great way to transform flip flops into stylish and personalized footwear that’s perfect for the summer.
- Foam sheets in assorted colors, available at most craft stores
- AccuCut machine (free with any paper or foam purchase at Ben Franklin Stores)
- Decorative buttons
- Needle and thread (upholstery thread recommended)
- A piece of fabric to reinforce the back of the foam
- A pair of rubber slippers
1. Select a few sheets of your favorite colors of foam.
2. Use the AccuCut machine to cut out any item you wish. We used the “Flower-Funky No. 2-Sm” and “Flowers No. 5-Mini” for the slippers above.
3. Put the small flower on top of the large fl ower. Create a hole in the center of the flowers so a button can be sewn through.
4. Double about 12 inches of thread into a needle and sew it through the back of the flower.
5. Attach the button to the fl ower by sewing it with your piece of thread.
6. Sew a tiny piece of fabric on the back of the fl ower and tie a knot. This will secure the foam and button together.
7. Attach the fl ower to the front/center strap of your rubber slippers, crisscrossing the thread several times to secure the fl ower. Tie it o and your slippers are ready to wear!