Recipe: Strawberry and Watermelon Salad
Make the most of summer fruit with this fresh salad.
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered and hulled
- 2 cups watermelon, diced, red and yellow if possible
- Fresh basil, sliced
- 1 bunch arugula
- A pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- Candied walnuts or pecans
- Blue or goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate molasses or balsamic syrup
- 1/2 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 shallot, cut in half and sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring sherry vinegar and honey to boil in a small sauce pan.
- Pour hot sherry mixture over shallots in small bowl and let cool to room temperature. Once cooled, whisk olive oil with shallots.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix strawberries, watermelon, basil and arugula in a large bowl. Gently add a drizzle of mixed vinaigrette over mixture. Toss and season with salt and pepper.
- Plate and top with nuts, cheese and syrup.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Ready time: 30 minutes
Source: California Strawberry Commission