Hawai‘i Comfort Food: Jook Recipe
Add warmth to rainy days with this four-ingredient, three-step traditional Chinese soup.
“Once firecracker explosions marked midnight, my cousins and I would gather in my popo’s kitchen for steaming bowls of jook. I topped mine with chung choy (preserved, salted turnip), while others opted for shoyu or lettuce as we marked the New Year with an after-midnight family meal.”
—Christi Young, editorial director, HONOLULU and HONOLULU Family magazines
SEE ALSO: 🥣 6 Local-Style Soup Recipes to Make at Home
- 1 cup rice
- 10 cups water
- 2 lbs. chicken
- 1 tablespoon Hawaiian salt
- Green onions to garnish
- Add ingredients to a pot. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for an hour, stirring occasionally to keep rice from sticking to the bottom.
- Remove chicken to cool. Shred and stir back into the soup.
- Top with shoyu, green onions, chung choy (salty preserved turnip) or lettuce.