Ready to Play: Playground Updates on O‘ahu
Where the newest and repaired playgrounds are on O‘ahu
Photo: Christi Young
The new playground at Ka‘onohi Neighborhood Park
The couch potato gene runs strongly in our family. As a kid, I loved reading, playing pretend and, one memorable day, making wings out of newspaper then attempting to fly off my lava rock wall. So, in a day when tablets and video games are part of play time, I want to make sure my kids get outside as much as possible.
Visiting Honolulu’s parks has been an easy way to do this. In 2015, Mayor Kirk Caldwell announced an initiative to fixing the bathrooms, playground equipment and grounds of many of O‘ahu’s 300 parks. So far, 15 have received new playgrounds. Thirty-three parks have had play equipment fixed.
The city documents it all on its website, Honolulu.gov, complete with photos of the new slides, climbing walls and more so you can find the right fit for your child’s age. My kids feel any new playground is an adventure, so even if it’s just a short drive, it’s a big deal to them.
City and County of Honolulu
The Old Stadium Park before renovations.
City and County of Honolulu
The Old Stadium Park after renovations.
From 2015 through April 2017, the following parks have received new or repaired playground equipment. The list is organized by neighborhoods.
- Ala Wai Community Park, 2015 Kapi‘olani Blvd.
- Dole Community Park, 602 Magellan Ave.
- Kalihi Valley District Park, 1911 Kam IV Road
- Kamehameha Community Park, 1400 Kalihi St.
- Kānewai Community Park, 2695 Dole St.
- Kunawai Neighborhood Park, 123 Kunawai Lane
- McCully District Park, 831 Pumehana St.
- Nu‘uanu Valley Park, 2925 Pali Highway
- Old Stadium Park, 2237 S. King St.
- Paki Community Park, 3503 Leahi Ave.
- Pālolo Valley, 2007 Pālolo Ave.
Kaimukī through Hawai‘i Kai
- ‘Āina Haina Community Park, 827 West Hind Drive
- Kalama Valley Neighborhood Park, 547 Kealahou St.
- Kamilo Iki Community Park, 7750 Hawai‘i Kai Drive
- Kapāolono Community Park, 701 11th Ave.
- Koko Head District Park, 423 Kaumakani St.
- Maunawili Neighborhood Park, 1489 Ulupi‘i St., Kailua
- Maunawili Valley Neighborhood Park, 962 Maunawili Road, Kailua
- Enchanted Lake Community Park, 770 Keolu Drive
- He‘eia Neighborhood Park, 46-220 Ha‘ikū Road, Kāne‘ohe
- Kalāheo Neighborhood Park, 455 Kaipiha St.
- Kapunahala Neighborhood Park, 45-800 Anoi Road, Kāne‘ohe
- Pohakapu Mini Park, 1329 Kailua Road
Pearl City through Salt Lake
- Hālawa District Park, 99-795 Iwaiwa St., ‘Aiea
- Hoa Aloha Neighborhood Park, 3200 Ala ‘Ilima St.
- Ka‘ōnohi Neighborhood Park, 98-994 Ka‘ōnohi St., ‘Aiea
- Lehua Community Park, 781 Lehua Ave., Pearl City
- Pacific Palisades Community Park, 282 ‘Auhuhu St., Pearl City
- Pearl Ridge Community Park, 98-960 Moanalua Road, ‘Aiea
- Salt Lake District Park, 1159 Ala Liliko‘i Place
- Waiau District Park, 98-1650 Ka‘ahumanu St., Pearl City
- Wahiawā District Park, 1129 Kilani Ave., Wahiawā
- Whitmore Community Park, 1259 Whitmore Ave., Wahiawā
Waipahu through ‘Ewa
- Asing Community Park, 91-1450 Renton Road, ‘Ewa
- ‘Ewa Beach Park Community Park, 91-955 North Road, ‘Ewa Beach
- Ho‘āe‘ae Community Park, 94-709 Ka‘aholo St., Waipahu
- Kamokila Community Park, 91-015 Farrington Highway, Kapolei
- Kapolei Community Park, 91-1049 Kama‘aha Loop, Kapolei
- Pūpū‘ole Street Mini Park, 94-427 Pūpū‘ole St., Waipahu
- Waipahu District Park, 94-230 Pāiwa St., Waipahu
- Mā‘ili Community Park, 87-360 Kulaaupuni St., Wai‘anae
- Mākaha Valley Community Park, 84-730 Manuku St., Wai‘anae
- Pililā‘au Community Park, 85-166 Plantation Road, Wai‘anae
- Waia‘nae District Park, 85-601 Farrington Highway, Wai‘anae
- ‘Āweoweo Beach Park, 68-197 Au St., Waialua
- Hale‘iwa Ali‘i Beach Park, 66-167 Hale‘iwa Road, Hale‘iwa
- Kahuku District Park, 56-170 Pualalea St., Kahuku
- Waialua District Park, 67-180 Goodale Ave., Waialua
For all the updates, including restroom repairs and play court resurfacing, go to the City and County of Honolulu’s Parks and Recreation page.