What is the origin of s-u-c-c-e-s-s?
Scripps National Spelling Bee provides these 10 tips to spelling superstardom:
1. For inspiration, watch the documentary Spellbound on family movie night.
2. Keep a “great words” journal for every new and interesting word that you find.
3. Designate a spelling wall in your home. Post new words to the wall each day.
4. For family game night, conduct an impromptu themed spelling bee. Use a newspaper for a current events bee or a cookbook for a cuisine bee.
5. Do like Akeelah did. Spell and jump rope!
6. Ask friends and neighbors to challenge you with great spelling words.
7. Find a good luck charm—perhaps shoelaces with a bumblebee design or a special coin.
8. Read great books. You’ll be entertained while you effortlessly improve your spelling and increase your vocabulary.
9. Scour the dictionary in search of words to stump your parents and teachers.
10. In September, check with your school principal to ensure that you and your school are officially on track for participation in the 2011 Scripps National Spelling Bee program.