Monday Wine Dinners
Downtown Honolulu’s Brasserie Du Vin has a 3-course Wine Dinner every Monday where wine steward Tiana Kahakauwila pairs wines with a specially designed menu from chef Scott Nelson.
Here is a look at the scheduled menus and themes for August:
Photos: courtesy of Du Vin
August 3rd – Italian Sunset
- Penn Cove mussels steamed with Tasso ham, fingerling potatoes, and lemon verbena
Paired with Anselmi Capitel Croce Garganega 2003
- Veneto sautéed chicken breast with Jamón, Taleggio and Sage, served with a lemon-caper butter Paired with Vietti Tre Vigne Barbera d’Alba 2005
- Piedmont porcini dusted veal sweet breads with spinach galette and an almond brown butter sauce
Paired with Villa Antinori Toscana Red 2004, Tuscany
August 10 – N’awlins Summer
- Crawfish bisque and puff pastry
Paired with Flora Springs Chardonnay 2006, Napa, CA
- Green Lip mussels baked on the half shell, topped with manchego cheese
Paired with Borsao Grenache Rose 2007, Campo de Borja, Spain
- Crispy skin duck confit with black pepper corn bread and rhubarb compote
Paired with La Posta Bonarda 2006, Mendoza, Argentina
August 17 – Chocolate Flare
- Coco-Cayenne pepper dusted ahi on Asian slaw and citrus foam
Paired with Tete-a-Tete Rhone Blend 2005, Sierra Foothills, CA
- Chocolate–coffee rubbed pork loin stuffed with Rainier cherries and chocolate jus
Paired with Betts & Scholl Grenache 2005, Barossa Valley, Australia
- Chocolate crepe suzette
Paired with Graham’s Late Bottle Vintage Port NV, Douro, Portugal
August 24 – French Connection
- Seared scallops with salad of arugula, maytag blue cheese and bacon-orange reduction
Paired with Louis Jadot Macon-Villages Chardonnay 2005, Burgundy
- Foie gras and truffle pate with toast points, cranberry gastrique and pine nuts
Paired with Chateau Gravas Sauternes 2005, Bordeaux
- Lavender smoked pheasant with fig-red onion compote and heirloom tomato salad
Paired with Lieu-dit Beauregard Cabernet Franc 2006, Bourgueil
August 31 – Local Flavors
- Ginger soy marinated tiger shrimp grilled with fresh pineapple, sticky rice and orange gastrique
Paired with Bridlewood Estate Winery Viognier 2004, Central Coast
- Sauteed opah with red and yellow bell pepper coulis with roasted vegetable couscous
Paired with Lava Rock Meritage 2007, Napa
- Fresh summer fruit vol au vant, chantilly cream and lilikoi reduction
Paired with Beckman ‘Purisima Mountain Vineyard’ Marsanne 2006, Santa Ynez Valley
The 3-course Monday wine dinners are available fo $49 (plus tax and gratuity). Seating at 6:00 p.m. and is limited. Reservations required.
Photo: courtesy of Du Vin
Every Wednesday, Brasserie Du Vin presents "Sessions @ Du Vin" – A live weekly showcase of local jazz musicians. Performers change weekly. Music starts at 7:00 p.m. with no cover charge.
Here’s the line-up for August:
- August 5 Nick Gertsson and Friends. Ambient, easy-listening, jazzy, guitar.
- August 12 Howard Nett. Smooth jazz guitar and vocals.
- August 19 Sonny and Members of the Hot Club of Hulaville. If you haven’t heard the Hot Club yet, you can’t miss this! Old Hawaii and European sounds.
- August 26 Silva and Friends. Always popular, Sonny performs of range of European jazz guitar. He often brings both local and visiting friends to jam.
For reservations or more information, call 808-545-1115 or visit www.brasserieduvin.com.
Brasserie Du Vin is located at 1115 Bethel St. in Downtown Honolulu.