Make It with the Family: Shave Ice Cupcakes
These icy-looking treats won’t melt even on sunny winter days.
- Cake mix
- Cupcake liners
- Sanding sugar in pink, yellow and blue; or go red and green for the Mele Kalikimaka effect
- Shave ice cones; we found these snowflake-adorned options at Target
- Colorful straws
- Wooden spoons
SEE ALSO: Make It: Shave Ice Pom Pom Ornament
- Mix cake batter according to directions on the box.
- Place cupcake liners in muffin tins. Fill each about ¾ full of batter so the cupcake rises significantly over the edge of the liners.
- Bake then let cool.
- Using the scissors, make a vertical cut about halfway down the paper shave ice cone. Overlap the two cut ends until the top of the cone measures about 3 inches across. Tape in place.
- Frost the entire top of each cooled cupcake.
- Use a spoon to sprinkle three stripes of sanding sugar on the frosting: pink, yellow and blue.
- Slide the shave ice cupcake into the paper cone. Decorate with a wooden spoon and straw.
- Chill the cupcakes before adding sugar. This will help keep the frosting from melting in Hawai‘i’s heat.
- Turn a foil pan or shoebox upside down and cut holes in the top (formerly the bottom) to create a serving stand for your treats. Let the kids decorate the outside with their favorite holiday greetings or pictures.
- Need to transport your treats? Use small ice cream cups instead of shave ice cones.
Looking for more holiday crafts and events? Visit our Holiday Corner.