Make It With the Family: Ring In the New Year with New Year’s Eve Bread
Pair home-baked bread with tasty butters for a fun way to dig into the new year.
Kids will cheer for fresh-baked bread when it comes with strawberry and cinnamon spreads.
- 1 package active yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Stir in remaining ingredients. Use a mixer or beat well with a spoon or fork until the dough is sticky, but doesn’t stick to your fingers. You may need to add more flour.
- Let dough rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut dough in thirds. Roll each section into long snakelike rolls, as evenly as possible.
- Form the numbers on a silicon baking sheet or parchment paper. Use the first roll to form the 2, the second to make a 0 and split the remaining dough into two pieces to create the 1 and 8.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until it is browned to your liking.
- Brush the bread with melted butter or olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
Thanks to funonadime.net for the easy pizza dough recipe.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/8 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Then add 1/4 cup fresh strawberries, hulled and coarsely chopped.
Brown Sugar Cinnamon Honey Butter
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon honey
Looking for more holiday crafts and events? Visit our Holiday Corner.