Make It With the Family: Holiday Fluffy Slime
It’s the most wonderful slime of the year. A gooey keiki favorite receives a fluffy, festive makeover in adorably decorated Mason jars.
Here’s a spin on slime for your winter break or for fun gifts for your keiki to mix and give away. This recipe uses contact lens solution instead of Borax.
Materials for Jars
- Mason jars; one recipe of slime filled three 16-ounce Ball jars
- Googly eyes
- Pipe cleaners
- Hot glue
- Palaka fabric
- Orange and other bright-colored construction paper for the snowman noses and flowers
- Hole puncher
SEE ALSO: 5 Easy and Fun Handmade Gifts
Materials for fluffy slime
- ⅔ cup Elmer’s glue; this needs to be the school glue, not the ultra version
- ¼ cup water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2–3 cups shaving cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons contact lens solution that has boric acid and sodium borate. These two ingredients are essential; you can find them in Renu or Walmart’s Equate brands
- Mixing bowl
- Brown icing dye
Instructions for Slime
- Pour glue into bowl.
- Add the water and baking soda and mix.
- Mix in your shaving cream.
- For the reindeer: Add icing coloring until you get the desired color.
- Pour in ½ tablespoon of the contact lens solution and knead for about five minutes. Slowly add the rest of the saline solution until the slime reaches desired consistency. It will be sticky.
Instructions for Jars
- Glue on googly eyes, construction paper snowman noses and pompoms. We also cut out flowers, punching out a hole in the middle for an island feel.
- For reindeer antlers, twist two pipe cleaners together and wrap around the lid of the jar. Snip a third pipe cleaner into several 3-inch pieces. Twist them onto the other pipe cleaners to create antlers.
- Make the slime just a few days before giving. The mixture deflates over time.
- Encourage keiki to be creative when decorating reindeer and snowmen. There are no rules!
Looking for more holiday crafts and events? Visit our Holiday Corner.