Make It with the Family: Fern-Printed Wrapping Paper
Go green (and red) with festive wrap that keiki stamp with their own backyard finds.
- Ferns; we used kupukupu and palapalai
- Acrylic paint
- Roll of craft paper or white paper
- Car-wash sponge, cut into smaller pieces
- A plate for the paint
- Paper towels
- Wash and dry ferns thoroughly.
- Squeeze a quarter-sized amount of paint on the plate and mix with water until it is the consistency of diluted ketchup.
- Using the sponge, gently dab paint on to the spine side of the fern until it is covered in color.
- Flip fern onto your craft paper, place paper towel on top and pat down. The paper towel absorbs excess paint, keeping the print clean.
- Lift paper towel and fern and repeat steps 3and 4.
- Let paper dry overnight.
- Select car-wash sponges with very small holes. Coarser sponges, or dishwashing sponges, will not distribute paint evenly.
- Play with painting a single fern with stripes or patterns of different colors.
- Use ferns within one or two days after picking.
- Pick smaller fronds to decorate gift tags.
Looking for more holiday crafts and events? Visit our Holiday Corner.