Keiki Snack: Crispy Christmas Trees
Even the youngest children can help make these holiday desserts.
Photo: Karen DB Photography
What’s more fun than making Rice Krispie’s treats? Making Rice Krispies trees and decorating them!
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 4 cups mini marshmallows or a
- 10-ounce bag of marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Green food coloring
- Assorted decorations such as sprinkles, mini M&Ms, colorful candies, candy stars and mini Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Wilton 12-inch cone-shape
- Decorating bags
- Make the Rice Krispies treats according to the package directions, but add the green food coloring to the melted butter and marshmallow mixture before adding the Rice Krispies.
- Scoop 1 cup of the warm mixture into a Wilton decorating bag. Squish the mixture to the bottom of the bag.
- Add more mixture and continue to press into a cone shape. Make sure mixture is packed firmly.
- Let cool completely before removing from bag. You should be able to make four to five trees.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3 tablespoons corn syrup
- Mix the ingredients in a small bowl until no lumps remain.
- Transfer to a small Ziploc bag. Snip off a small portion of the corner of the bag and pipe the icing onto the trees as garland.
- While the icing is setting, and before it hardens, apply candies. We recommend decorating one tree at a time.
- Attach a small star to the tip using a bit of icing.
- Unwrap a mini Reese’s and place it upside down on a plate. Pipe a small amount of icing on top and place a tree on it. Allow icing to set.
Thanks to raininghotcoupons.com for the idea!
There is a lot more fun for families this holiday season. Watch for more crafts, recipes and a full round up of holiday events and parades in our Holiday Corner.