11 Ways to Watch the Autumn Leaves Change Without Leaving Hawai‘i
See fall colors with these live webcams and aerial videos.
It is almost officially autumn. In Hawai‘i, our kids donʻt get to mark the season with chillier weather and the changing of the leaves. Fortunately though, webcams can give our keiki a glimpse at the red, orange and gold foliage of the fall.
We went looking for our fall fix online. Keep in mind that while the maple leaves of Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom are already in full color, it will take longer for the leaves to change farther south. East Coast cameras will be in the dark by the time your kids come home from school, so we’ve included a few videos to celebrate the season.
Need help answering all your child’s questions about why the leaves change color? Check out this simple explanation. Happy leaf peeping!
Vermont is widely celebrated as one of the best places for fall foliage. The entire state puts on a spectacular show each autumn. Here are a few of the best videos and webcams we found:
- Green Mountain Drone flies over Vermont’s Northeast Kingdom. to capture the colors. The last video from Oct. 2018 gives you a taste of what’s to come across the region.
- Killington Live Webcam is over a golf course, so keiki can watch people playing in real time as well as look at the leaves.
- Middlebury College has webcams near the Davis Family Library, Snowbowl and Rikert Nordic Center that let you watch the Green Mountains change color in real time. Disclaimer: I especially like showing my kids these views as Middlebury College is my alma mater. In the prehistoric, pre-webcam days, I had no idea what fall would be like when I left Hawai‘i!
More Top Spots Across the Northeast
States across the Northeast have similarly spectacular scenes of fall foliage.
- Weirs Channel Cam in the New Hampshire Lakes Region shows an updated image every two to three minutes. You can also watch a full day time-lapse video from the previous day.
- New York State Thruway Cameras are on an interactive map. Kids can click for views from cameras along the highway and watch the cars race below the autumn leaves.
- Mount Katahdin Cam in Maine has images of Mount Katahdin from 5 Lakes Lodge that are updated continually.
- Mohawk Mountain Cam in Connecticut has an elevated view over Western Connecticut.
California, Colorado and more
While the Northeastern section of the United States is best known for fall colors, a few other spots shine too.
- Aspen Snowmass panoramic camera in Colorado showcases the aspen trees as they turn a bright, golden yellow.
- Shenandoah National Park Virginia, Mountain View Cam presents a view of Skyline Drive into Shenandoah Valley in Virginia.
- EarthCam Fall Cams has a selection of updated images from across the country, including California and Washington.
- Algonquin Park in Ontario, Canada shows the changing colors earlier than other cities.
If all this leaf peeping makes you want to experience fall in person, start planning with New England Today, a website of Yankee Magazine. Learn about fall foliage drives and train tours as well as the best corn mazes, apple orchards and pumpkin festivals in New England.