5 Ways to Wear White-Hot Looks
Tap these tips for rocking the ideal summertime color.
Not to throw shade or anything but, now that we’re having so much summer fun, we're all about ditching heavy hues for light looks that can really kick it in the sun. And, since we’ve only got T-minus-three more months till Labor Day, we mean to milk it with as many white-hot ensembles as possible.
We know you’ve been loading up on yellows and marsalas for the last couple of seasons, but don't be intimidated by a new color palette. We tapped the mind of Feliz Salas to refresh your white-out skills. Salas is the official stylist for Dîner en Blanc Honolulu event, a chic pop-up picnic that requires head-to-toe pearly white dress. Needless to say, this frosty-fashion-minded 'nista has got the fair look down pat.
White noise never sounded so good.
1. “Since the color scheme is minimal, really focus on the cut, fit and silhouette of your outfit. There won't be any color choices or prints to distract, so feel free to play with architectural details, shape, volume and proportions of the whole look.”
Try: This pleated crop top, $98, or this layered midi skirt, $275, We Are Iconic, 1236 Waimanu St., 462-4575.
2. “Always make sure you have a Tide-to-Go pen or Clorox stain-removing pen handy! These are compact enough to discreetly carry in a clutch. Accidents happen and sometimes stains and spills are just unavoidable. Wet wipes work on minor stains as well.”
Try: Tide-to-Go Instant Stain Remover, $3.49, Longs Drugs, 1330 Pali Highway, 536-5542.
3. “An all-white color palette is the perfect canvas to play with makeup and accessories! This is where your creativity and personality can really shine through. Don't be afraid of wearing statement jewelry or even theatrical pieces, such as feather boas, top hats and Kate Middleton-esque fascinators. Pops of color and metallic flashes here and there are also fun ways to express yourself visually. If big and bold isn't your style, you can never go wrong with choosing simple yet classic pieces. Elegance is timeless and always appreciated.”
4. “A nonsartorial bonus tip: Deepen your tan a bit or invest in some bronzer/bronzing lotion for an extra glow that will make your skin look amazing—and really pop against the sea of white! If you want to take it even a step further, an illuminating tinted moisturizer or highlighter against bronzed skin would also add that extra oomph to your bronzed summer glow.”
Try: NARS body glow, $59, or bareMinerals sunless tanner, $24, Sephora, Ala Moana Center, 944-9797.
5. “The stylish silhouette of your outfit won't be center stage if you are wearing ill-fitting or brightly colored underwear with visible seam lines. White fabrics tend to be slightly see-through, so invest in the right undergarments! Fortunately, there are a ton of options nowadays for body shapewear, slips and seamless undies.” (Extra tip: Nude-colored intimates usually look better under white fabric than white ones do, especially when taking photos with flash.)