Your Weekend: The Best Family Events-February 28, 2018
Our picks for the weekend's best family events.
Photo: Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor
Open Cockpit Day
Dress up as a pilot and climb into historic aircraft this weekend. Save money with the Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor’s online buy-one-get-one-free ticket offer. In addition to exploring the two battle-scarred hangers and 48 aircraft, families will get to talk story with pilots, ground crew and military volunteers. You can also celebrate Women in Aviation and Women’s History Month by hearing Wally Funk’s inspirational story. She was one of the Mercury 13 group of women who trained for the space program in the 1960s and she has logged more than 18,000 flight hours.
- All ages
- $25 for adults, $12 for children 4 to 12 years old, free for children 3 years and younger. Purchase buy-one-get-one free tickets here.
- Saturday, March 3, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Pacific Aviation Museum, Historic Ford Island, 319 Lexington Blvd.
- (808) 441-1000, pacificaviationmuseum.org
Subscribers to our free weekly eNewsletter also found out about 19 Spring Break camps and workshops, where to celebrate Dr. Seuss’ birthday and about Hawaiʻi’s largest anime convention. Click here to sign up.
The butterflies are coming back to Pearlridge Center this weekend. See the life cycle of these colorful creatures – all raised on local farms – from egg to chrysalis to butterfly, first-hand. Everyone will get to feed a butterfly, and, if you’re really lucky, one will land on you too. Stick around for a craft activity, listen to a storytime with the Hungry Caterpillar or purchase your own Caterpillar Kit to take home. We’ll be checking out the conservatory this weekend. Check HONOLULU Family’s website early next week for our review. While you’re at the mall, you can also get photos with the Easter Bunny.
- All ages
- $4.50 per person, children 2 years and younger are free with ticket purchase.
- Saturday, March 3 to April 8, Mondays to Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sundays, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., closed on Easter Sunday, April 1. Storytime is on Saturdays at 10:30 a.m.
- Pearlridge Uptown Center Court, 98-1005 Moanalua Road, ʻAiea
Keiki Fun Sunday–A “March” with Penguins
Get free child admission to Sea Life Park and learn about flightless birds. You’ll get to see penguins swimming and walking in a parade – along with a Chinese lion dance, stilt walker, juggling clown on a unicycle and more. Other activities include a scavenger hunt, obstacle course, making a penguin hat and a coconut husk bird shelter. See our full guide to Sea Life Park here.
- All ages
- $22.99 for kamaʻāina 13 years and older, free for up to two children 3 to 12 years old per paying adult, free for children 2 years and younger.
- Sunday, March 4, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Sea Life Park, 41-202 Kalanianaʻole Highway, #7, Waimānalo
- (808) 259-2500, sealifeparkhawaii.com/funsundaypenguin
Little Big Eye
Follow a feisty fish with a curious eye for adventure as Little Big Eye opens at Honolulu Theatre for Youth this weekend. Get your toddlers excited as this is one of few plays recommended for keiki as young as 2 years old. It’s filled with puppets, music and mystery and no-one will worry if your little one makes some noise or gets up and runs around. This play is also shorter – 35 minutes instead of HTY’s usual one-hour plays and will only run for two weekends.
- 2 years and older
- $20 for adults, $10 for children 3 to 18 years old, free for children 2 years and younger. You can request a free toddler seat by phone or in the “comments” section if you purchase tickets online.
- Saturdays, March 3 and 10 at 9:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Sunday, March 10 at 11:30 a.m. is the American Sign Language performance.
- Honolulu Theatre for Youth, Tenney Theatre, 229 Queen Emma Square
- (808) 839-9885 ext. 720 for reservations, htyweb.org/plays/little-big-eye
Spring Yoga and Art Workshop
Kids will get to play with poses, practice breathing exercises, learn how to balance and fully relax their bodies. Then, they’ll make a bendy bug art project to decorate and take home as a fun reminder of the poses they learned.
- 5 years and older
- $15 per child
- Saturday, March 3, 2:30 to 4 p.m.
- Art Explorium, 1142 Koko Head Ave.
- (808) 312-4316, artexplorium.org/events/event/spring-yoga-art-workshop
Looking for more events for adults? Click here for HONOLULU Magazine’s picks for the weekend.