Where to Take Mom for Mother's Day 2014
Mother's Day is May 11 this year. Here are some places you can treat mom:
- Pigging out is encouraged at The Pig and the Lady's Mother's Day brunch, which includes five family-style plates like the Laotian fried chicken and a savory Dutch baby (like a giant popover) topped with bacon and a slow-poached egg. Add on individual plates—the porchetta and tamarind-lemongrass opah belly stew, perhaps—and don't miss the toasted avocado cake with corn gelato for dessert. You're allowed to order as much as you want, but no take-home plates.
$45/$25 keiki, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. 585-8255 or email@example.com. Full menu at thepigandthelady.com/mothersday
- MW restaurant offers a similar concept of mixing family-style dishes and small plates for its Mother's Day brunch. Among the large plates: fried chicken and pork belly bao buns. For the small: pickled beet salad, a savory bread pudding, shrimp cocktail and more. And, of course, there's dessert: lemon tarts and coconut cakes, and for an extra $5 each, ice cream sandwiches, doughnuts and the famous lemon meringue brûlée.
$45/25, 955-6505 for reservations. Full menu at mwrestaurant.com
- The five-course Mother's Day dinner at Vino includes Hamakua mushrooms with housemade ricotta agnolotti and mushroom bacon; and a choice of seared ahi nicoise salad, pan-roasted chicken with a preserved lemon jus, or sous vide filet mignon over gingered kabocha.
$43 and up, 5 to 9 p.m., 533-4476 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- 12th Ave Grill will offer two Mother's Day specials: salmon stuffed with blue crab ($15), and a surf-and-turf ($36) of lamb and scallops with Surinam cherry butter, rosemary creme fraiche mashed potatoes, and buttered asparagus.
732-9469 for reservations
- The Pineapple Room's ever-popular Mother's Day buffet brunch features Chinese roast pork and bao buns, and made-to-order omelets and waffles. For more creative fare, pick up small plates including oysters topped with red onion and jalapeño shaved ice, a pork-hash Benedict, and lemongrass tempura slipper lobster. This is also probably the only brunch in town that offers a poi cup buffet—a build-your-own bowl of poi, kalua pig and lomi tomatoes. Almost half the brunch is devoted to the dessert spread of lilikoi custard, Waialua chocolate pudding, Kula strawberry tiramisu and more.
$47.50/$23.75 keiki, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., 945-6573 for reservations. Full menu at alanwongs.com/events
- For dinner, Alan Wong's four-course Mother's Day menu offers entrees such as a pan-roasted tilapia with yuzu brown butter, and a ribeye and seafood lasagna. More touch choices for dessert: the Okinawan sweet potato cake with lemon ice cream or the Waialua chocolate bavarian with jasmine frozen custard?
$95/$145 with wine pairings, 949-1939. Full menu at alanwongs.com/events
- Top of Waikiki's Mother's Day buffet brunch features all-new dishes such as a vanilla yogurt panna cotta topped with granola and fresh fruit and buttermilk biscuits with Kula strawberry jam. Heartier entrees include prime rib, luau stew and a Korean bo ssam—slow-roasted pork served with lettuce and condiments. Plus, moms get to take home a $20 gift card for a future visit.
$45/$20 keiki, 9 a.m. to 1p.m., 923-3877 for reservations
- At the Kahala, choose from a luxe Mother's Day brunch buffet at Hoku's ($85), with a seafood and sushi bar, or opt for the beachfront Plumeria Beach House's ($75) for a Sunday brunch buffet that includes an entire table of chocolate desserts.
739-8760 for reservations
- If Mom loves pancakes, consider Mac 24/7's Mother's Day buffet, which will offer a Mac Daddy pancake station. Entrees include seven-cheese mac 'n' cheese, prime rib and lobster bisque.
$42/$18 keiki, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., 921-5564 for reservations