Hawaiian Red Veal
Hamakua Heritage Farms Alii Mushrooms
Waialua Agriculture Group Heart of Palm
1 lb Hawaiian red veal breast, cut into 1 ½” pieces
1 lb Hawaiian red veal shoulder, cut into 1 ½” pieces
6 oz pearl onions, cleaned
¾ lb alii mushrooms, cut into ½” pieces
¾ lb heart of palm, cut into ½” pieces
6 oz onion, peeled, with clove
6 oz carrot
6 oz leek, cleaned well
6 oz celery, cleaned well
2 ea garlic clove
1 ea bouquet garni
2 c crème fraiche
Black peppercorns, toasted and fresh ground
White Peppercorns, whole
1. Place 1 tablespoon of butter into a pot with the onions, sugar, and 1 tsp of salt. Add water to half way up the onions.
2. Cook covered over medium heat until the water has evaporated. The onions will be cooked though and golden in color. Set aside.
3. Place the veal in a large dutch oven. Completely cover the meat with cold water. Add 1 tbsp of kosher salt. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 mins. Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and rinse under cold water.
4. Put the veal back into the pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and skim all impurities. Add 1 tbsp of kosher salt, white peppercorns, studded onion, carrot, leek, garlic celery and the bouquet garni. Lower heat and simmer for 2 hours.
5. Melt 1 tbsp of butter and add the mushrooms. Cook until caramelized. Add the heart of palm and cook until tender. Season with kosher salt and black pepper. Add onions to the mix, cover and set aside.
6. Remove the meat from the slotted spoon and combine with the onions, mushrooms and heart of palm. Cover to keep warm.
7. Strain the cooking liquid into another sauce pan. Bring to boil and simmer.
8. Add 2 cups of crème fraiche and nutmeg. Mix to combine to make the sauce.
9. Reheat the meat and vegetables with the sauce. Taste to reseason.