Lei Chic's guide to the weekend's best events
Weekend Picks - October 10, 2013
What: This weekend will be your last chance to attend Discover Kakaako, possibly for good. The monthly event is on hold for the rest of the year to make way for a busy holiday season and ongoing changes to the area. Expect one last stylish hurrah with:
- Half-y Hour 50 percent off deals at 13 Ward merchants including Basique Threads, Cottage by the Sea and Eden in Love
- Fashion shows featuring T.J.Maxx looks at 6:30 and 7:45 p.m.
- Paul Brown beauty bar
- A Hawaii Fashion Month-related surprise at around 7 p.m.
When: Saturday, 5-9 p.m.
Where: Parking lot adjacent to Ward Warehouse, across the street from Consolidated Theatres Ward 16.
Details: Visit discoverkakaako.com for more.
-- SPONSORED LISTING --
Sidewalk This Way
What: Major deals from dozens of retailers abound when you shop Windward Mall's Discoverer's Day Sidewalk Sale this weekend. Spend $100 or more and get a free $10 Gyu-Kaku Japanese BBQ or Ruby Tuesday gift card. While you're there, enter to win a $100 pampering package from Bellaviva Salon and Spa. The biggest giveaway is just a click away: one lucky Lei Chic reader will be able to choose $300 worth of gift certificates from Windward Mall retailers like Macy's, T&C Surf Designs and Sports Authority. Enter online now.
When and Where: Sidewalk sale takes place tomorrow through Friday at Windward Mall. Lei Chic and Windward Mall's $300 online giveaway ends tomorrow.
Details: For more information on Windward Mall's Discoverer's Day Sidewalk Sale, click here.
Fruit of the Loot
What: Guava Shop celebrates its fifth anniversary in Haleiwa with a store-wide sale and celebration. Stop in next Tuesday to enjoy champagne, cupcakes (guava-flavored, of course) and 25 percent off everything in-store except jewelry.
When: Tuesday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m.
Where: 66-165 Kamehameha Hwy.
Details: Call (808) 637-9670 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more.
The Big Pictures
What: As we mentioned yesterday, the 33rd Hawaii International Film Festival kicks off tonight. What we didn't tell you: In addition to 209+ film screenings, the festival is hosting Creative Lab, a series of workshops for aspiring filmmakers and movie buffs, and several sessions are free and open to the public. Full details here.
- This week, contemporary fashion designer Richard Chai launched his first-ever jewelry collection via the membership-only, subscription-based website JewelMint. The result: elegant lariat necklaces, branch rings and spiral bangles with clean, organic lines, sapphire-colored Swarovski crystal drops and a silver oxidized finish. $29.99-$59.98, available exclusively on JewelMint.
- Roberta Oaks just revamped her Chinatown boutique to include an open layout, handmade wooden shelving and new arrivals like a coffee section with organically grown Big Island coffee by Sweet Okole Farms, Chemex hand-blown glass coffeemakers, filters and cleaning brushes. 19 N. Pauahi St.
- Barrio Vintage has moved into the digital age with an online store, now stocked with dozens of vintage, one-of-a-kind finds. Shop online here.
- Neiman Marcus released its 2013 Christmas Book, titled "The HeART of Giving," a collection of high-end gift ideas that include outrageously expensive picks like a Bespoke Global Falconry Companion set ($150,000, falcon not included), 2014 Aston Martin Vanquish Volante ($344,500) and the Ultimate Outdoor Entertainment System with 201-inch screen ($2.64 million). Start fantasizing here.
Uke It Out
What: Stop in theVenue for an evening of music and live entertainment hosted by ukulele artist Taimane Gardner with Echoes of Tranquility, NightBloom Music and DJ Jerome James.
When: Saturday at 8 p.m.
Where: theVenue, 1144 Bethel St.
Details: Free admission, ages 21 and over.
What: Eden in Love is holding a special sale in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Donate $5 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure Hawaii and get 10 percent off your entire purchase or donate $10 to get 20 percent off. Plus, for every Chillin' n Chevron top ($32.99, shown left) sold, the boutique will donate $10 to the organization.
When: Through tomorrow.
Where: Eden in Love, Ward Warehouse
Grin and Beer It
What: Florencia Arias and Pure Joy Adornments are teaming up to showcase their latest designs in a fashion show at Oahu Brewfest. The event also includes craft beers from more than 20 breweries, plates by Monkeypod Kitchen, Auntie Pasto's Kunia, Tanioka's, Off the Wall and Won Kee, live music and a cigar tent.
When: Saturday, 6-9 p.m.
Where: Paradise Cove at Ko Olina Resort, 92-1089 Alii Nui Dr.
Details: $70, tickets available online here.
Deal: Extra 40 percent off final sale items in-store and online with the code EXTRA40.
When: Through Saturday.
Who: Aloha Rag
Deal: 20 percent off Fall Edit pieces with the code ALOHAFALL13.
Deal: 30 percent off your entire purchase online with the code 0835.
When: Ends today.
Who: Ann Taylor
Deal: 40 percent off your entire purchase in-store and online. No code necessary.
Deal: Extra 20 percent off all clearance in-store and online with the code SAVENOW.
When: Through Monday.