Late adds to Lei Chic's guide to the weekend's best events
Weekend Picks - Saturday, June 8, 2013
What: You've probably already heard that Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Neon Trees will be performing live this week to celebrate the grand opening of Microsoft at Ala Moana Center. The concert is free if you have a ticket. Here's how to get one:
- Tickets will be given away this Thursday at 11 a.m. in the Microsoft store at Ala Moana Center (next to Bath & Body Works). People can line up the night before, starting Wednesday at 10 p.m.
- The first 200 people will get two tickets. One just grants entry to the concert itself, but the other gets the ticketholder into both the concert and a special meet-and-greet with Neon Trees after the show. The next 2,500 people get two concert tickets each, no meet-and-greet included.
- The concert will be held that same day at 6 p.m. at Kakaako Waterfront Park, 102 Ohe St. Gates open at 4 p.m.
Details: For more information, click here and here.
What: Score tickets to the hottest show for the 6-and-under set in HONOLULU Family's Sing to Win contest. Just record your cute keiki belting out 30 seconds of his or her favorite song. Voters and the magazine's editors will pick the winners, who'll score premier seats for four to "Sesame Street Live: Can't Stop Singing" and an opportunity to meet two fuzzy, friendly characters.
When: Enter now until Saturday, June 15.
Details: Upload entries to Facebook or email them to HONOLULU Family. See all the rules here.
What: Watch as Cooking Channel visits Hawaii in two new episodes of Man Fire Food. In the first episode, titled "Smoke and Steam," chef Mark Noguchi teaches host Roger Mooking how to prepare a traditional Hawaiian imu. In the second, "Feasts Over Fire in Hawaii," chef Robert McGee roasts half a cow over a custom metal grill at Mao Organic Farms.
When: "Smoke and Steam" airs Monday at 3:30 p.m. "Feasts Over Fire in Hawaii" airs Monday, June 17, at 3:30 p.m.
Where: Cooking Channel, 332 and 1322 on Oceanic Time Warner digital cable.
Details: Check the show's episode guide for synopsis, schedule, and recipes here and here. Photo courtesy: Hawaii Visitors & Convention Bureau.
Art and Soul
What: View a new solo exhibition by local artist Shin Takahashi, a mix of oil and sumi-e paintings created throughout his 30-year career.
When: Opening reception tonight, 5:30-9 p.m. Exhibit will be on display through July 20. Where: Stand Up Eight, 1113 S. King St.
Details: For the opening reception, RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wardrobe (and Other) Updates
- To no one's surprise, Sarah Jessica Parker will launch her own shoe line, SJP, alongside Manolo Blahnik's CEO. The collection will be available at Nordstrom early next year, along with bags and trench coats. Read Vogue's article here.
- Will you be watching The Internship this weekend? Critics may not like it, but this ex-Googler does. Plus, if you're curious, Google can show you what real-life interns actually do.
Who: Executive Chef, Ward Warehouse and 629 Kailua Rd.
Deal: 25 percent off all knives, knife blocks, knife rolls, steels and sharpeners.
When: Through June 16.