Lei Chic's guide to the weekend's best events
Weekend Picks - August 22, 2013
Vive La Fancy
What: H&M's stunning fall Paris Show collection, which debuted at the retailer's first-ever runway show at Paris Fashion Week in February, is now available to shop online. Click through a neutral mix of tailored military jackets, delicate beaded dresses, sleek leather pants and lush, textured accessories.
Details: Click here to shop.
Flea the Scene
What: Art & Flea ventures Into the Wild tonight. Shop more than 60 local vendors featuring vintage, handmade goods, art and more, watch two-time national yoyo champion Alex Garcia in action, enter a kendama contest, and stop by Glyf's booth to scoop up a limited Art and Flea collab tee.
When: Tonight, 5-10 p.m.
Where: Fresh Cafe, 831 Queen St.
Details: $3 admission or $2 if dressed in animal print, all ages welcome.
What: Acoustic Sessions Hawaii kicks off its music series with California-based hip-hop artist and YouTube sensation Jeni Suk performing live at Fresh Cafe along with rising ukulele star Aidan James. Concert goers are encouraged to bring school supplies. Donations will be collected at the entry gate for Community Helping Schools.
When: Saturday, doors open at 5:30 p.m., concert starts at 6:30 p.m.
Where: Fresh Cafe, 831 Queen St.
Details: $20 pre-sale tickets available at Fresh Cafe and The Firm, 631-D Keeaumoku St. $25 at the door ($40 VIP meet-and-greet tickets are already sold out online). All ages welcome.
- Issa de' mar added several fun new Cruise colors to its online shop: deep grape (right), black, peacock blue and lime green. You can also score 25 percent off all cover ups through the end of the month with the code SUMMER BLISS. [link]
- Somace is celebrating its 6th anniversary with a store-wide sale. Take 20 percent off all regular-priced items in-store through the end of the month. Kilohana Square, 1016 Kapahulu Ave., #100.
- Florencia Arias launches her new fall collection tomorrow. Preview it right now, thanks to her newly re-designed website, then take 10 percent off the entire line in-store and online tomorrow through Sunday with the code PALERMO. [link]
- In4mation is releasing a limited amount of super-cute snapbacks ($36) and T-shirts ($26) in fun, sublimated floral prints tomorrow morning in store and online. In4mation, Pearlridge Center, and The Human Imagination, 1154 Nuuanu Ave. [link]
What: Help The Manifest celebrate its 4-year anniversary, a.k.a. The Great Maniversary, with a The-Great-Gatsby-themed night of food, cocktails, live performances, DJs and a not-so-Gatsby lion dance.
When: Friday, 9 p.m.-2 a.m.
Where: The Manifest, 32 N. Hotel St.
What: Enjoy a thrilling night of drumming by the Kenny Endo Taiko Ensemble, along with an expert lineup of Tokyo-based kabuki, taiko and shamisen performers.
When: Tomorrow at 7:30 p.m.
Where: Orvis Auditorium, University of Hawaii at Manoa, 2411 Dole St.
Details: $25 general, $20 military, seniors, faculty, $15 youth, students, available online or at the box office one hour prior to showtime.
Eel of Fortune
What: If you couldn't make it down to Fighting Eel's massive sample sale last weekend, you've still got time to stop by its Chinatown office and rummage through what's left.
When: Today and tomorrow, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Where: 9 N. Pauahi St.
Details: Ring up code 200. Cash only, all sales final.
What: The Ohina Short Film Showcase returns with 10 short films, all by independent local filmmakers. This year's films include:
- Blueprints for Life - Jeffrey Nakamura, lead architect of the University of Hawaii Cancer Center, fights for his life while working on his biggest project yet.
- Little Girl's War Cry - A young girl does her best to fight off evil in the Marshall Islands.
- Fan Film - Set in 1944, a small squad of American soldiers learn they are not the only ones in the jungle.
- Lemonade - Two childhood enemies become business rivals in their attempts to sell lemonade.
When: Tomorrow and Saturday.
Where: Doris Duke Theatre, Honolulu Museum of Art, 900 S. Beretania St.
Details: $15 general, $12 members for the opening night reception, $10 general, $8 members for all other showings. Full lineup here, schedule and tickets available here.
Night and Play
What: Celebrate the debut of Ladies Night at Japengo with Skinnygirl cocktails mixed by Hawaii Food and Wine Festival mixologist Chandra Lucariello, the debut of a highly anticipated design from UGG's fall collection, and hand massages by Na Hoola Spa.
When: Every Thursday starting tonight, 8-10 p.m.
Where: Japengo, Hyatt Regency Waikiki Beach Resort and Spa, 2424 Kalakaua Ave.
Details: No cover, ages 21 and over only.
What: Calling all local designers! Project Runway is currently accepting applications for Season 13, where contestants once again vie for the chance to showcase their designs during New York Fashion Week.
When: Applications must be received by September 9.
Details: Open to ages 21 and older. For more information, email email@example.com or download an application here.