Lei Chic's guide to the weekend's best events
Weekend Picks - August 15, 2013
What: Miso & Ale is going "Balls to the Wall" for Third Fridays Kaimuki with a one-night-only menu that showcases the meatball. Choose from red Thai curry lamb, chicken adobo, beef and Rafute, then select how they'll be served - with salad, a bao bun, or paella. Slow-roasted kabocha coconut soup, soft poached eggs, pickled Hamakua mushrooms, Okinawan kim chee, and sweets will also be available.
When: Tomorrow, 6:30-10:30 p.m.
Where: Coffee Talk, 3601 Waialae Ave.
Details: No reservations, service is first come, first served. Full menu and details here.
-- SPONSORED LISTING --
Best Made Plans
What: Immerse yourself in all things local at the Made in Hawaii Festival, featuring roughly 400 vendors from across the state showcasing food, art, crafts, books and, of course, fashion. Below, a sampling of what to expect from some of our favorite local designers:
- Roberta Oaks: Ladies sale rack at $49 each or three for $120, buy two, get a third for 50 percent off all regular-priced Roberta Oaks merchandise.
- Ginger13: Ammonite statement necklaces, animal brass and leather earrings, and mini cactus plants in hand-painted pots.
- ki-ele: First five people each day to say "Aloha ki-ele!" will receive a free shell beaded Aloha bracelet. Each purchase also enters you to win a Sunrise shell and Tahitian pearl necklace.
- Misha Hawaii: Free sunglasses with purchase of $100 or more, free tote bag with purchase of $250 or more.
- Salty Girl Jewelry: 15 percent off all jewelry.
Plus, catch and sample cooking demonstrations by chefs like William Chen of Beachhouse at the Moana and John Memering of Cactus, coordinated by HONOLULU Magazine.
When: Tomorrow and Saturday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m., and Sunday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
Where: Neal S. Blaisdell Exhibition Hall and Arena.
Details: $4 admission, children six and under free, $1 off coupons available at First Hawaiian Bank's Oahu branches while supplies last. Full schedule and details here.
R You Ready
What: Royal Hawaiian Center celebrates its newest issue of R Magazine with a fall fashion event. View the latest trends on live models and stop by participating stores for one-night only specials (check in at Building B, Level 1 for a free guide). We've listed a few below:
- Allure Swimwear: 10 percent off the entire store and free Georgette pareo with purchase over $50.
- Aloha Aina Boutique: 10 percent off the entire store from 6-8 p.m.
- Anteprima: Gift with purchase of $500 or more.
- Island Slipper: 20 percent off of slipper purchases over $150.
- Juicy Couture: 25 percent off the entire store and free gift with purchase of $250 or more from 6-10 p.m. or while supplies last.
- Koi Boutique: Gift with purchase of $500 or more from 6-8 p.m.
The first 25 people to arrive will receive a $25 gift card and everyone will be entered to win a $250 or $500 shopping spree.
When: Tonight, 6-8 p.m. (Hours for individual store specials vary.)
Where: Royal Hawaiian Center.
Details: Click here for more information.
Grease of Mind
What: Channel your inner Pink Lady at Hawaii Theatre's Sing-a-long-a Grease. Start with a vocal warm-up, then sing and dance along to the classic movie. Dressing up is encouraged, especially since you can show up in costume pre- or post-show to the following eateries to score these exclusive specials: happy hour prices at Bar 35 and bambuTwo, and a Summer Lovin' Sangria ($9) at Brasserie Du Vin.
When: Tomorrow and Sunday at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2 p.m.
Where: Hawaii Theatre, 1130 Bethel St.
Details: $7-$17, tickets available online here.
What: Tickets are now on sale for Fashionista's Market's 7th Annual Closet Swap. Buy one and start purging your closet now, drop off your new or gently-used clothes and accessories at FM Boutique next month, then attend the Closet Swap in October to sift through thousands of new-to-you pieces and take home however many you originally donated.
When and Where: Drop-off - September 22 and 29 at FM Boutique, 1185 Bethel St. Closet Swap - October 13 at Japanese Cultural Center of Hawaii's Manoa Ballroom.
Details: $35 per person or $300 for table of 10, includes champagne breakfast. Call (808) 537-1115 or visit FM Boutique to purchase tickets. A portion of the proceeds will go to the Leeward Domestic Abuse Shelter and Goodwill Industries of Hawaii.
Wardrobe (and Other) Updates
- The 3.1 Phillip Lim x Target collab lookbook is now online. Start picking out your favorites here, and read what the designer had to say here. The collection goes on sale September 15.
- Divalicious is holding an (almost) storewide moving sale. Everything in the original Aina Haina Professional Building store is now 30 percent off, locally made earrings and camis excluded, until the store closes next Saturday. Look for Divalicious to reopen inside the Aina Haina Shopping Center by the post office sometime next month.
- The White House rocked the Internet earlier this week with an awesome Mean Girls tweet. We also loved this response from Lacey Chabert, a.k.a. Gretchen.
- Cronuts are so yesterday. Meet food's newest craze: Ramen Burger.
Who: House of Aria, 1140 Bethel St.
Deal: 50 percent off the entire store with $10, $15 and $20 sale racks.
When: Tomorrow through August 22.
Who: Florencia Arias, 1161 Nuuanu Ave.
Deal: 50 percent off all maxi dresses, samples and past season items up to 70 percent off, and a $10 bin.
When: Through Saturday.
Who: Roam Hawaii
Deal: 25 percent off everything online with the code ALOHA.
When: Through Saturday.
Who: Executive Chef, Ward Warehouse
Deal: 25 percent off all regular-priced items (Ward location only).
When: Saturday, 9 a.m.-noon.
Deal: 25 percent off full-priced shirts in-store and online with the code SHIRTS25.
When: Through tomorrow.
Editor's note: Lei Chic will not publish tomorrow in honor of Statehood Day. Enjoy your weekend and we'll see you Monday!