Quick Facts About Dave Shoji
You know he’s had four national championships. You know that, last season, he notched his 1,000th career victory and was inducted into the American Volleyball Coaches Association Hall of Fame. Now, as he begins his 36th season as head coach of the University of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine volleyball program, what don’t you know about Dave Shoji?
1. His father earned two Purple Hearts during World War II.
2. At Upland High School in California, Shoji earned the “best athlete” award over Rollie Fingers, who became a Baseball Hall of Famer.
3. Shoji was also responsible for the formation of the UH men’s volleyball program.
4. The same year he brought UH its first national title (1979), Shoji also became a first-time father.
5. That year, he was also a graduate student, an intramural basketball referee and an assistant boys’ coach at Punahou School.
Do you like what you read? Subscribe to HONOLULU Magazine »