HI Priority Mail: Made In Hawaii gifts This holiday season, send your off-island loved ones locally made presents worth cheering about, and leave the tacky, convenience-store stuff on the shelf.
By Stacey Makiya
2013.11.14 02:50 PM
Photo: David Croxford
1. INSTEAD OF: Straw beach bag // Upgrade to: Lil’ Coconut Hawaii clutch, $32, Soha Living, Kahala Mall, 591-9777.
2. INSTEAD OF: Puka shell necklace // Upgrade to: A.wattz beaded necklaces, $52 (pink), $52 (black-and-white), $42 (blue), Owens & Co., 1152 Nuuanu Ave., 531-4300.
3. INSTEAD OF: Hula girl postcards // Upgrade to: The Honolulu Collection Aloha cards, $12 for set of eight, Everything is Jake postcard, $3, South Shore Paperie, 1016 Kapahulu Ave., 744-8746.
4. INSTEAD OF: Hawaiian Islands shot glass // Upgrade to: Plastic botanical coaster set, $27.50 for a set of four, Somace, 1016 Kapahulu Ave., 593-8780.
5. INSTEAD OF: Spam-flavored macadamia nuts // Upgrade to: Manoa Chocolate Hawaii Hamakua Hawaiian Crown, $8.99, and Hawaiian Sea Salt, $7.99, chocolate bars, Whole Foods Market, Kahala Mall, 738-0820.
INSTEAD OF: Rubber slipper magnet // Upgrade to: Bubble Shack Pikake Lei, Papaya Love, Sweet Hawaiian Plumeria soaps, $5.80 each, Soha Living, Kahala Mall, 591-9777.
INSTEAD OF: Tiki-printed beach towel // Upgrade to: Pieces of Me 20 by 20 inch pillow covers, $34 each, Sugarcane, 1137 11th Ave. Ste. 101, 739-2263. // on the model: Modern Mechanic’s chambray shirt, $115, Roberta Oaks, 19 N. Pauahi St., 428-1214.