Star Wars Day: Get a free comic from a Stormtrooper
May 3, 2013
Want to meet Boba Fett, Imperial Stormtroopers, Tusken Raiders (Sand People), Imperial officers and other Star Wars villains? You’re in luck, because Saturday is Star Wars Day, also known as “May the Fourth Be with You.”
Sixteen public libraries across the state are giving away free special-issue comics as part of nationwide Free Comic Book Day on May 4. At participating libraries, you’ll see loyal Star Wars fans dressed in costumed characters from the Rebel Legion Hawaii, Pacific Outpost of the 501st Imperial Legion and Costumers Guild of Hawaii.
Pacific Outpost’s commanding officer Nicholas Hadap will be dressed as a Sandtrooper on Saturday to help distribute comics at Aiea and Mililani libraries. Pacific Outpost has 34 active members, including KHON 2 News at 5 weather anchor Justin Cruz, who occasionally appears as Darth Vader, Hadap says. People can meet the costumed characters, ask questions and take pictures with them.
“They have a chance to meet some Stormtroopers, the exact same armor you would see in the movies,” he says.
There’ll be more than 1,000 comic books available, such as Star Wars, Archie, Superman, Sesame Street, Dragon Ball and more. Show a valid Hawaii State Library System card and you’ll get one free comic.
Diane Masaki, co-coordinator of the library's event, says even some library patrons appear in costume. Last year, a mother and father brought their 2-year-old daughter to Aiea Public Library dressed in a Star Wars outfit.
“We had one little girl dressed as Darth Vader; we called her mini-Vader,” says Masaki.
She recommends people show up early to pick up a free comic.
“They love it—the free stuff, the cool factor of having the costumed characters to take pictures with,” she says. “How often do you get to take a picture with a Stormtrooper?”
For more information, contact the following libraries below:
- Aiea Public Library, 483-7333
- Aina Haina Public Library, 377-2456
- Hawaii Kai Public Library, 397-5833
- Kailua Public Library, 266-9911
- Kalihi-Palama Public Library, 832-3466
- Kapolei Public Library, 693-7050
- Liliha Public Library, 587-7577
- McCully-Moiliili Public Library, 973-1099
- Mililani Public Library, 627-7470
- Waimanalo Public & School Library, 259-2610
- Hilo Public Library, 933-8888
- Thelma Parker Memorial Public & School Library, 887-6067
- Kihei Public Library, 875-6833
- Lahaina Public Library, 662-3950
- Makawao Public Library, 573-8785
- Princeville Public Library, 826-4310