Watanabe Floral Ready for Valentine's Day
Kathy and Leland Watanabe, with sons Justin and Landon, at Watanabe Floral, getting ready for the Valentine’s Day rush. It’s the busiest day of the year, by far; here’s how the holiday of love breaks down:
- Individual sales: 5,000 (compared with 250 on a normal day).
- Deliveries: 800.
- Employees required: 120 (compared with the regular 40).
- Police officers assigned to direct traffic outside the store: 3.
- Roses sold: 150,000.
- Customers who are male: 90 percent.
- Valentine’s Day sales that are roses: 90 percent. (“Roses are always going to be the king,” says Monty Pereira, Watanabe’s sales and marketing director. “Every year we wonder if it’s going to change, and it really doesn’t.”)