New restaurants and what to eat now
Here's some food news for your eating pleasure: expect to see more details on these places in Biting Commentary in the upcoming weeks.
Tsuku Tsuku Tei fills the void that GoShiGo left with udon noodles hand-made fresh daily. 641 Keeaumoku St.
EAT THIS BEFORE IT'S GONE
Mochi waffles in Shirokiya’s Meika Plaza (the sweet treats section) on the second floor. Mochi pressed in a waffle iron and filled with red bean or peanut butter equals crisp and chewy goodness. Only through October 30th. Shirokiya at Ala Moana Shopping Center
Zaratez Mexicatessen takes a hiatus after Friday. Get your mulitas (two corn tortillas griddled with meat and cheese) with chorizo and carnitas or the best tacos and burritos on the island before Zaratez goes on break. 11 a.m. until sold out, 1637 Kapiolani Blvd., zaratez.com
YuZu Hawaii, by Isamu and Moco Kubota, chef/owners of Kaiwa Waikiki and now-closed Hale Macrobiotic. YuZu Hawaii opens on November 4 in Ala Moana Hotel and will feature vegetarian cuisine as well as fresh udon in three varieties: thin round (hoso), thick round (futo) and wide flat (gokufuto). Sushi and yakitori, too. YuzuHawaii.com
Hank’s Haute Dogs downtown pop-up:
- What: order a set lunch pack, which will include a haute dog, sandwich, or Hank special, one side, and a tropical cocktail. The lunch pack is a surprise—you don’t find out what it is until pick-up day—and it will often include items not on Hank’s regular menu.
- Where: Pickup is at The Arcade Building at 212 Merchant Street.
- When: The first pop-up day is Friday, October 28, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- How (pay attention to this!): You must reserve and pay in advance at hankspopup.eventbrite.com. Don’t forget to bring your ticket!
- More info: hankspopup.eventbrite.com