Summer food news and events in Honolulu
Coming soon: Honolulu Beerworks
It's already gearing up to be an exciting summer. Some projects and openings to look forward to:
- Christian Self of 39Hotel is taking over Scores, the divey karaoke bar in Kakaako, replacing it with a cocktail bar. Dubbed Bevy, he brought Jamal Lahiani (who left 39Hotel for a few months to stage at restaurants in Chicago) back to the Islands to create the menu. Tentative opening date: late summer.
- Honolulu Beerworks, a coming-soon brewpub, will be the second brewery in Kakaako, joining Hawaiian Island Brewing in Ward Warehouse. (Now if only someone would reopen Honolulu Brewing and Malting Co. on Queen St., where Primo was brewed until Prohibition.)
- Sheldon Simeon, of Top Chef fame, has left the Star Noodle/Leoda's Kitchen and Pie Shop family. Before he heads to his next venture, he'll be doing a collaboration dinner at Vintage Cave, for four nights from Wednesday, June 19 to Saturday, June 22. Expect plays on Filipino and other local cuisines.
$245, call 441-1744 for reservations
- Save the date for the REAL Beer Festival on July 27. Real a Gastropub will gather more than 50 craft beers from Hawaii, the continental U.S. and international breweries. The entry fee gets you a beer mug, eight four-ounce tastes and unlimited sampling of food dishes made to pair with the beer.
$60, tickets must be bought in advance, realbeerfestival.eventbrite.com
- Regal Bakery is opening a Chinatown location. Preview the new space and get a free doughnut to celebrate National Doughnut Day, Friday June 7.
100 N. Beretania St. Suite 105