This Saturday: Mangoes at the Moana
It's tree to table at the Moana on Saturday.
It's a full day of mango-related seminars, samplings from Hawaii mango farmers, a recipe contest, mango smoothies, sodas and popsicles.
You can even get a mango body scrub at the Moana Lani Spa.
The centerpiece of the mango madness is the second annual Mango Throwdown, a culinary competition that features 11 top local chefs doing their best to make you love mangoes even more:
- Chai Chaowasaree, Chai’s Island Bistro
- Darren Demaya, Kai Market
- Kevin Hanney, 12th Ave Grill
- Wayne Hirabayashi, The Kahala Hotel & Resort
- Hardy Kirschner, Michel’s at the Colony Surf
- Dave “D.K.” Kodama, D.K. Steakhouse
- Jon Matsubara, Azure Restaurant
- Ronnie Nasuti, Tiki’s Grill & Bar
- Jason Peel, Roy’s Waikiki
- Goran Streng, Tango Contemporary Café
- Rodney Uyehara, Beachhouse at the Moana
The throwdown will be judged by a panel of celebrity judges including Lee Ann Wong, Kogi New York chef and Bravo Top Chef finalist.
But you can get in the act. It's like the carnival; you purchase scrip for $3 each, and can buy samplings with it. Part of the proceeds go to benefit UH's Culinary Institute of the Pacific.
Admission is free. There's free entertainment from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. And you get four hours free parking with validation at the Princess Kaiulani.
If you miss Saturday's event, all through July the Moana's Afternoon Tea at The Veranda will feature Nalo Field salad with mango dressing, mango tea, mango scones, sorbet and mousse.
We can't turn all the mangoes in season into chutney. Somebody's got to use them up. Thanks to the Moana for doing its part.
For more information, (808) 922-3111, mangoesatthemoana.com. Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort, 2365 Kalakaua Ave., Waikiki.