January food and dining events: rare scotch, celebrity chefs, farm dinners
January is packed with events—rare scotch tastings, celebrity chef visits, farm dinners and new offerings:
Signatory Vintage Single Malt Scotch Dinner at SALT Kitchen and Tasting Bar
Signatory, an independent bottler of rare single malt scotch, teams up with SALT for a five-course prix-fixe dinner. The featured single malts:
- Edradour 10, Central Highlands
- Laphroaig 10 Un-Chillfiltered, 2000, Islay
- Highland Park 17 Un-Chillfiltered, 1991, Orkney
- Glen Scotia 18, 1991, Campbeltown
- Longmorn 18 Un-Chillfiltered, 1992, Speyside
$100, 6 p.m. Wednesday, January 11, 3605 Waialae Ave., 744-7567 for reservations
At Brasserie du Vin:
- Wines of Chile: Join Patrick Okubo, the island's newest master sommelier (there are only two others), for a tasting of 10 Chilean wines. $20, January 11, 5:30 p.m.
- Four-course wine pairing dinner including braised pork shoulder (paired with a 2007 Freemark Abbey Merlot) and quail l'orange with sunchoke puree (with a 2007 Mas Doix 'Salanques' Priorat). $35/$65 with wine pairing, January 12, 6 p.m.
- The Brewer's Table: Beers make good food pairings, too—four courses like sesame seed crusted sea scallops and braised lamb shanks with yucca fries are paired with Belgium-style beers. $50, January 27 (date changed from January 19), 6 p.m.
1115 Bethel St., 545-1115 for reservations
Celebrity Chef Tour benefiting the James Beard Foundation: Jonathan Waxman, Ming Tsai, Tyler Florence, Sam Choy and mixologist Manny Hinojosa return to Mauna Lani Bay Hotel and Bungalows. The first night is a cocktail reception ($50), the next night a six-course dinner ($250) highlighting local ingredients.
January 20 and 21, tickets at celebritycheftour.com
Joanne Chang (a personal idol of mine) of Flour Bakery in Boston will be giving a pastry demonstration and brunch at the Halekulani on Saturday, January 21. The following Monday, she's giving a workshop for professionals on the business side of a bakery.
Brunch at Halekulani: $79, January 21, 10:30 a.m., 923-2311 for reservations.
Workshop at Kapiolani Community College: January 23, 10 a.m., email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
Tickets for Outstanding in the Field, a series of farm dinners, are still available.:
- January 14, 2012, Kauai: Kilohana Plantation, food by 22North.
- January 17, 2012, Maui: Kupaa Coffee Farm, food by Market Fresh Bistro.
- January 21, 2012, Oahu: MAO Organic Farms, food by Town.
- January 25, 2012, Big Island: Kekela Farms, food by Village Burger.
Dinners are $190. For more information on Outstanding in the Field and to buy tickets, visit outstandinginthefield.com.
Starting this month, Chai's Island Bistro offers a special 5-course dinner ($40) every Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, including ahi katsu with tomato mango salsa and wasabi curry, and a choice of Thai-style oxtail soup or grilled local fish.
1 Aloha Tower Dr., 585-0011
Japengo, at the Hyatt Waikiki, launches Capital, a weekly event featuring cocktails, sake and sushi.
Every Saturday, 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., 237-6180
Hand-pounded paiai demo every Thursday at Whole Foods Kahala, between noon and 1pm. While you're there, enter the paiai recipe contest. At the end of January, top three recipes will win a Mana Ai t-shirt and Whole Foods Market gift card.
Posted on Thursday, January 5, 2012 in Permalink