Tiki's Grill & Bar Recipes at Made in Hawaii
Visit the Made in Hawaii Festival this year, and be sure to see Ronnie Nasuti, of Tiki's Grill & Bar, cook the following dish during a live cooking demonstration.
Grilled Hawaiian Fish, Luau Leaf Palu Sami, Confit of Saffron Scented Hauula Tomatoes
Description: Palu Sami is a Samoan dish consisting of young luau leaves, coconut milk and onions baked or steamed until tender and custard-like. It sometimes has corned beef and can be eaten as a pupu or entree.
For 4 people:
- Luau leaves (young/tender) 20 leaves
- Onion (½ inch dice) ¾ c.
- Coconut milk 3-4 c.
- Hauula tomatoes (peeled, seeded & diced) 2
- Shallots (sliced) ½ c.
- Virgin olive oil as needed
- Fresh local lemon as needed
- Fresh local limes as needed
- Hawaiian fish filets (7oz.) 4
- Saffron threads 1 pinch
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Palu Sami:
1. Cut 4 squares of tin foil 12” square and lay them out.
2. Layer the leaves–large to small–5 pieces for each portion.
3. Bend foil into a bowl-like shape and fit luau leaves inside.
4. Divide diced onions into each luau foil bowl.
5. Add ¾ to 1 cup of coconut milk. (Amount of coconut milk could vary depending on the size of the leaves.)
6. Fold two opposite foil corners over each other in the middle. Take the other two opposite corners and twist together like a Hershey’s Kiss bundle in the middle.
7. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
For the Tomato Confit:
1. Add the tomatoes, shallots and saffron in a non-reactive, ovenproof pan or casserole dish.
2. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and barely submerge with virgin olive oil.
3. Bake in the oven with the Paul Sami for 1 hour or until tomatoes lightly dehydrate in the oil. (There will be almost no bubbles in the pan.)
To complete the dish:
1. When the first two components are finished baking, remove from the oven and allow the Palu Sami to set.
2. Now grill your fish filets with a little bit of salt and pepper and some of the oil from the confit.
3. Unwrap Palu Sami and plate with fresh grilled fish and tomato confit.
4. Squeeze fresh lemon over fish and serve!