Kahala Hotel & Resort Recipes at Made in Hawaii
Visit the Made in Hawaii Festival this year, and be sure to see Michael Moorhouse, of Kahala Hotel & Resort, cook the following dish during a live cooking demonstration.
- 1 Tablespoon unflavored gelatine powder
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
1. In a small bowl, dissolve the gelatine powder in the water and reserve. In a non-reactive saucepan, combine the cream, milk, split and scraped vanilla bean, and the sugar.
2. Bring the mixture just to a boil and remove from heat. Wisk in the gelatine mixture, buttermilk and sour cream.
3. Pass mixture through a fine strainer and chill in a ice water bath. When cool but not set, adjust flavor with the extract and salt.
4. Pour cool pannacotta into individual serving dishes, glasses, molds, or a large serving vessel and chill until set, at least 4 hours.
5. Cover pannacotta if not serving immediately. Top pannacotta with fresh fruit salad, seasonal sliced berries, your favorite compote, coffee gelee - the options are endless.
Do you like what you read? Subscribe to HONOLULU Magazine »