Wai‘alae on the Rise: Saint Louis School and Sacred Hearts Academy

St. Louis School

AN AERIAL VIEW OF SAINT LOUIS SCHOOL IN 1931.
PHOTO: COURTESY OF SAINT LOUIS SCHOOL

 

St. Louis school

DURING THE WAR YEARS, SAINT LOUIS SCHOOL TURNED INTO A HOSPITAL, AS DEPICTED IN THIS ILLUSTRATION.
PHOTO: COURTESY OF SAINT LOUIS SCHOOL

In September 1909, Sacred Hearts Academy welcomed its first 94 students to a campus in Kaimukī circumscribed by overgrown kiawe and guava trees. Its scholastic neighbor, Saint Louis School, was founded much earlier, in 1846, but didn’t migrate to Wai‘alae Avenue until 1928. Today, the schools’ close proximity make them easy pairs for school dances and cultural programs, such as the Annual Ohana Festival.

 

3142 and 3253 Wai‘alae Ave.

 

RELATED STORIES:

Back to Main Page

 

Edit ModuleShow Tags
Edit Module

Subscribe to Honolulu

Honolulu Magazine November 2018
Edit ModuleShow Tags